A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: proper rotiation not working in swift 3d ?

hi friend

I have a problem with roating a square with .5 of depth

ive applied spin of 45 deg, but when its rotating ... its axis is also move with minor difference. how can i keep its axis as it is when it start

thanks
    romio

take a look at your animation timeline. if you are doing a rotation only, then you should only see frames (green) for the Rotation. If you see any for the Position or Pivot, that will probably where you are getting your shift from.

It happens to me sometimes, and I have to go back and take a peek at my timeline to make sure I didn't just accidently nudge the object while I was doing my animation.

Hope that helps

If the object that you are spinning or rotating does not have it's pivot point in the exact center of the object, then you will get something of a wobble as it travels around it's path. You can change the position of the pivot point by going to the Position Page in the Properties Toolbar and down at the bottom you will see four buttons. Hit the one at the top that says "Move Pivot Only", and then change the position of the pivot point using the numerical positioning input boxes just above the buttons. You will notice that there are two sets of input boxes. The top one is for the object position and the bottom set is for the pivot position.

thanks for support

well... i have tried as per instruction

I think this problem is due to version .. i m using swift 3d v.1

thanks

That is correct...in version 1 you cannot change just the pivot position. I'm afraid you will have to upgrade to Swift3D V2 in order to take advantage of that and other features.

do u know where can i download demo ver.

its not available to download demo in site

hey romio3k, the trials were offered in the December Computer Arts magazine, as well as the January Digit Magazine

You can purchase it, with a 30 day money back guarantee, from Erain.

It's about $179 for the full version, I don't remember what the upgrade cost. I got mine when it was still one special to upgrade. Either way, it's worth it

hi friend

i got v2 but still i m getting the same problem of axis

can anybody talk with me on my yahoo id "romio3k"

A couple of questions - although what RushVision told you is certainly the answer.

What do you have as your camera setting? If you use the default, and rotate, it may appear that there is some motion of the center of the object as this camera setting is going to give you perspective that may look like distortion. Try a camer setting of 200 and see if that makes a difference.

How did you make your square? Here is a small example where I made squares two different ways. The one in the center is a cube that I scaled to 50% in the z direction. The others are copies of one drawn in the extrusion editor (with the coordinates of the points very carefully adjusted to guarantee a perfect square) and then scaled in the z direction to give what you see. http://www.wellesley.edu/Chemistry/Flick/squares.swf

Back to what RushVision said, be very careful that the center of the object and the center of rotation are the same or you get the wobble that I think is what you are talking about. In http://www.wellesley.edu/Chemistry/Flick/squares2.swf I moved the pivot point of the center square slightly and it now shows eccentric motion. (You would probably be able to see the same thing if your square was not really square. If you draw it be sure to edit the point corrdinates to make it exactly square.)

Cheers,

Flick

[Edited by wcoleman on 02-02-2002 at 09:45 AM]

thanks a lot for reply

let me tell u in detail my problem ... the following setp i have done for creating square

1. i have created a cube by create cube in toolbar
    2. set a height and width 1.0000 and depth 0.1000
    3. the applied a regular spin of Right45Deg spin
    4. it creates 20 frames

k now see the problem

go to frame 4 or 5 when object will be perpendicular to u.

one corner is moved from pivot. ... i want this in center.

it also destort in next cycle

... the whole thing is ... object is rotating like
    gyroscope .. as it is rotating from axis and itself

well ... the sample you have given is also distorted ... i also have tried with camera setting of 200

... my object is not cube ... its like floring tile .... square with small thickness

... well may i dont know how to use ... thanks

Could you post your td3 file somewhere so we can look at it (you could also post the swf that shows the problem).

Cheers,

Flick

Personally, I have no idea what you are talking about. When I create a cube, give it the dimensions you describe and apply a regular spin of "Right 45 Degrees", there is no noticable distortion.

well i am not able attach file in this board and also not able to find your email

during the spin of 45 deg look at upper left and lower right corner ... its moving from its place ... i want to keep it as it is..

thanks again

you can't upload the file to your webhost, and give a link?

k ... sample is uploaded on following location

http://www.geocities.com/romio3k/

also temp.t3d file is located here

http://www.geocities.com/romio3k/temp.zip
    [Edited by romio3k on 02-03-2002 at 05:29 AM]

ok, by wobble, you mean the upper left and lower right corners, right? If I apply 45 degree right on a similiar cube, I get the exact same results. The center of the object doesn't move. None whatsoever. However, you seem to be concerned with the edges. I'll play with it more.

here's my example

same results. opposite 45's though. I've attempted all Move With (Pivot only, Object only, Together, Independently), but that mostly for groups, what not.

I will try further tomorrow, but I see the same behaviour from 3DS MAX too.

k thanks

romio3k,

Thanks for sticking with this even though we seemed to be telling you that we couldn't understand or see your problem. After looking at gerbick's example I made one of my own that clearly shows the problem. I made a tile from a cube and added a cylinder that I rotated 45 degrees so that it passed through opposite corners of the tile. Everything is carefully aligned so that a 45 degree rotation for the tile should maintain the relationship between the two corners of the tile the cylinder passed through and the cylinder. As you can see at http://www.wellesley.edu/Chemistry/Flick/wobble.swf it clarly does not maintain this relationship - I agree there is a problem.

The effect is even clearer if the cylinder and tile are grouped as in http://www.wellesley.edu/Chemistry/Flick/wobble2.swf - a true 45 degree rotation should leave the cylinder unmoved (I have my camera at 200 mm).

Cheers,

Flick
    [Edited by wcoleman on 02-03-2002 at 07:53 AM]

thanks ... finally ..u got my question ... please do reply if u solve this problem

thanks

Okay, NOW I see what you are talking about.

Here is an example of how I was able to achieve the effect I believe you are looking for. Let me know if this isn't what you meant.

[swf height="290" width="600"]http://www.rushvision.com/swift3d/square_rotation01.swf[/swf]