A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Entertainment....Please check this out & comment......

Designed this for a Hollywood based Entertainment company. They liked it.....Please give us your comments too.....Your feedback will help us improve it... Thanks in advance.

http://216.15.231.241/multimediary1/intro.html

devonair
    long slow download, but entertaining. Conceived, by the way, is concEIved. Sorry, but I majored in English and notice such things. Plus, misspelled words lessen the professionalism. EXCELLENT lens flare. The spotlights could use some tweaking, but they're a good effect. The speakers don't seem to fit the rest of the decor, but I loved the dancers...

d.

Originally posted by devonair
    long slow download, but entertaining. Conceived, by the way, is concEIved. Sorry, but I majored in English and notice such things. Plus, misspelled words lessen the professionalism. EXCELLENT lens flare. The spotlights could use some tweaking, but they're a good effect. The speakers don't seem to fit the rest of the decor, but I loved the dancers...

d.
    hello Devonair....yup, you're right about the spelling...will have it changed immediately....Thanks. Appreciate your comments too.....are you referring to the color of the speakers, when you say they dont fit....or are you referring to something else ?

Thanks again
    Kevin

devonair
    re: the speakers, the color's fine it's just their hand drawn appearance. Everything around them has a "computer generated hyperrealistic" feel then in come these cartoonish looking speakers. Not a bad thing per se, but they clash.

boo...hoo....i thought they were cool. Anyway, you've definitely got a point....will try doing something about it....Thanks.

when it slowed down my computer to the point i couldn't do anything (blasted white dots!) I gave up and left.

Smile

Originally posted by Gloomycus
    when it slowed down my computer to the point i couldn't do anything (blasted white dots!) I gave up and left.

Well...this is one thing no one has complained about till now....even from the clients side....it runs beautifully on 500Mhz & above....& a 56K transfer.....hope not many more have the same problem or i'll have to optimise all the parameters involved...& thats basically going to effect the quality the audio....something which the client doesnt desire....anyways thanks for your comment.....its something we'll need to think about....

well theres the clincher. im on a 400MHz

Smile

Originally posted by Gloomycus
    well theres the clincher. im on a 400MHz
    well...In any case, your point is valid & we'll really have to think about your comments. Its gonna be bad, if a user cannot view it coz of this reason.

It's a nice site............but geez, you're a whisker away from having a great site.

When you're asking 56kers to download over a Meg ya' really need to sock them in the face, which you promise, but don't quite deliver.

I'm running a P4 1.6 and still got some jumpy animations with the lens flare.

I also wasn't too keen on the speakers but they do compliment the dancing girls animation as they are csrtoonish..... Oh, and I love the sound track and animation on the black sabbath screen.

There's a hell of a lot I like about this site but just think that maybe the others are right... you're mixing hi-tech with cartoon - very hard to pull that off.

One last thing... I really like the red glow on the fading 3d Grid. Nice.

Thanks Mikeli.....Yes, I really need to think about the total file size....& positive comments on some of the elements are sincerely appreciated.

You know, feedback like this from senior flashers like yourself & the other gentlemen who have given their comments on the design really do help everyone improve.

& I'm glad, we have Flashkit for facilitating that.

Thanks again.

Hey,

and thank you for posting. That's what we are all here for - a bit of feedback goes a long way.

Please work on the site and post again soon.

Smile

will do Mikeli......In the meantime, am waiting for some more feedback so i can do everything at a single go. Thanks for everything....

you're not kiddin

i'm starting to write this as i wait for the thing to download...

still waiting...

i like the way you keep the viewer entertained but on my 56K that only lasted until the 35% loaded mark. you must be targetting users with a fat pipe (i hope).

i have no idea what the hell i'm in for here and i guess i'm just hanging in there to see what could possibly be this big.

OK i've watched it now. you have put a lot of work into it and i enjoyed it. amazing use of flash.

so my question for you is why would anyone wait for that to download. i'll tell you if i wasn't viewing it after reading these other comments i'd be gone before you could say 1 MEGABYTE.

good work but think about doing the download some other way.

Thanks for your feedback Flaminmarkoos....yes, almost everyone has complained about the size. Am reducing that to about 700Kb....thats the max i could do...the client doesnt want to eliminate any of the parameters.....any other suggestions on optimisation...pls let me know..

CYMA what is your e-mail... i need to ask you something

corey@coreyhunt.com

-Corndogg

Hi Corndogg....mail me at kevin108@rediffmail.com

What you're going for is good. It seems to me you need to spend some time on optimization in flash.

I'm at home and don't have slow machines to test your movie's performance but I can see it is using an average of 90% of my 1.5 ghz processor's resources. That's a very very bad thing.

What that means is your movie is dramatically slowing way down in movement and overall feel to slower computers and/or speeding way up in faster ones. The little stick figures are jerking around so fast I had to concentrate on them to realize they're taking off their clothes. Once I hit one of the buttons and the spotlights turned off they started flying even faster. Overall, your movie looks different on every different machine.

If you want to get to the next level as a developer, you have to spend some time learning about how everything you do in flash taxes the user's cpu. Basic shapes and text don't tax the cpu. When you alpha the shapes, you tax the cpu. When you put one alpha'd shape over another, you tax the cpu more. When you ask flash to tween you tax the cpu. When you ask flash to tween shape you tax the cpu more. When you ask flash to lay multiple layers of alpha'd symbols on top of each other, tween those symbols, lay tweening/morphing clips on top of those, lay more alpha'd tweening clips on top of those, you're taxing the cpu in geometric proportions. You're building something that will run at different speeds on each and every computer that views it if it runs at all. You're building something that will cause choppiness, freezing and even crashes.

The sound is another thing to look into. Every second of a loop costs bandwidth. The kbps you publish at cost more. Stereo vs. mono costs double.

Break it up. Load movies on request. Load a scene and play it while the next movie loads.

If you have something that big, you have to tell people it's big and offer something smaller (which you may already do on the site).

Can you sell work like that to clients? Sure. Clients are idiots. But you'll be vulnerable to people who know more about flash and the internet. I could come to your client with statistics on the number of people using dial-up modems and machines with processors under 800 mhz and show him why all those potential customers will never see his site. I've taken a laptop with a modem to clients who have dsl at their business, dialed up, visited their site so they could see how 80% (in 2001) of users see their site. I then show him how I build sites that are friendly to slow customers as well as satisfying to high-speed customers. You can guess what happens next.

Saw you advertising for help with your site. Hope I've helped some.

That felt like a tonner came & hit me...moot ....

Yes, you are right....like everyone else who said the same....you know its wierd, we in india think that except for this country, everyone else has major bandwidths...& we're lagging behind....this is definitely true but then as you say, more than 90% are still using slow connections....well....this has been more than a tutorial....& yup...the point is definitely noted. thanks a ton.

flashdevil
    Omg......sorry, but I think it wasnt good at all.
    I expected to see a hot-site (it was a hot-subject) but it wasnt.