A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: input and output text problem

Hello Guys, how is everybody. I'm afraid I need to pick some brains! I've worked out how to input text from a .txt file but I haven't worked out how to put it in there from the swf. Can anyone help. What I am trying to do is a sort of note pad which can be stored and retrieved when needed. So the person writes into a text box presses save, the text goes into a txt. file and then is retrieved later by a loadvariable function. Does anyone know how to do this?
    Please help.
    Thank you.
    Crusty.

The only way of writing in a txt file (from flash) is through a serverside-script.. so by php, cgi or asp; just search the boards for one of the above script-languages; and you will find..

succes

Nyls

Thanks Nyls.
    Ok so I have a php or cgi script, they all send to a server/ http address. How can I alter this to send directly to a dir on my computer? I want this to be self contained and not for the web. Please help. Its probably very simple.
    Crusty

well .. I don't know if you wan't it to be a standalone app. orr a website.. if it's a standalone app. you could make it a HTA ... (these have security-rights to write to the machines there on (installed)..) if it's a webpage you could install a webserver ...

that's what I know ..

Nyls

cheers nyls, I'm going to have rethink my note book