A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: bitmap fonts

im trying to use bitmap or pixel fonts in flash 5 but whenever i export the movie the fonts will have blocks in them or they will be completely distorted. if i try to break apart the font then it becomes blocked out in flash. is there anyway to make these font look normal even after i export them?

Christopher Simmons

try this

make sure anti-aliasing is off in flash.

also, be sure that your text boxes are positioned at pixel intengers (i.e x = 10, not 9.9 or 10.1)

lastly many bitmat fonts are designed to work at specific sizes (often 10pts)

if the letters fill in the blank spaces when you export ( if this is what you mean), it means that the font is not flash specific. a lot af pixel fonts out there have this problem.

yeah when i export it the holes in the letters such as D or e or O get filled. is there anyway that i can avoid this?

i am afraid you can't anything about it. it has to do with the way the font was created. the only thing i can suggest is that you find another pixel font.

Originally posted by tphan69247
    yeah when i export it the holes in the letters such as D or e or O get filled. is there anyway that i can avoid this?
    I think you can avoid this by selecting your textfield. Then you choose your panel 'textoptions', select static text, and then mark 'use device fonts'.
    Hope this will help.

yeah i did that and it worked for my own computer but when people try to view the file, the font is all distorted and isn't shown correctly. thanks anyway.

this thread stays in my mind

Originally posted by c_cosenza
    it means that the font is not flash specific. a lot af pixel fonts out there have this problem.
    Is it a coincidence that these fonts are bmap-fonts (pscript) and not suit-fonts (truetype)?
    May I conclude that we better use tt-pixelfonts in flash,
    and ps-fonts in photoshop?

Can tphan69247's fontproblem maybe solved by using a fontconverter and change the ps-font in a tt-font or am I totally wrong?

Big Boi
    Originally posted by c_cosenza
    if the letters fill in the blank spaces when you export ( if this is what you mean), it means that the font is not flash specific. a lot af pixel fonts out there have this problem.
    DO you know why is it so??
    Can you say some fonts and where to be found which are nice and dont do that??

i have a collection of pixel fonts here
    http://www.orgdot.com/aliasfonts