A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Criteria for featured sites?

I was wondering what the criteria is for the flashkit featured link selection?

Civilian
    Originally posted by indivision
    I was wondering what the criteria is for the flashkit featured link selection?
    Only things that count you out are popups, cross-browser issues, bad detect scripts, indecent content, etc.

Have you submitted a site?

Ok. Yeah.

I submitted http://www.indivision.net . The reason I asked was that I had the site featured before. Then I put ten times the effort into the re-design and submitted it recently. Either my perception of what is better work is off, the standard accepted by Flashkit has increased, the other submissions were better or there is some criteria that my submission fell short on.

Honestly, I'm open to any of these possibilities but wanted to make sure that I wasn't cancelling myself out unknowingly.

I did have some desktops available on the site that, although they were not intended to be indecent, did contain some nudity. They were intended to be humorous/artistic statements regarding a political figure. If my site was excluded because of these, would you be willing to re-consider it if these desktops were removed (which they have)? At the moment, exposure is more important to me than a laugh.

Civilian
    Originally posted by indivision

I did have some desktops available on the site that, although they were not intended to be indecent, did contain some nudity. They were intended to be humorous/artistic statements regarding a political figure. If my site was excluded because of these, would you be willing to re-consider it if these desktops were removed (which they have)? At the moment, exposure is more important to me than a laugh.

What browsers have you checked this on. I rememeber rejecting this on an iMac and would do so now on Linux Opera. Both on cable modem. Nice art, but it's gotta be viewable and resonably fast. Add 500,000 people per day trying to view this, and I'm going to get yelled at. Too slow.

Speed it up and resubmit???

Civilian
    I just checked this again to make sure it wasn't my connection last night. It was still a bit slow, but I was able to access more of it. Very cool stuff. I love those popup blurbs in the eyes on the front page.

Strange indeed. I have never had any bandwidth related speed problems with this host. Maybe there is a bad jump somewhere...

I suspect that the problem is actually with Mac browsers. I have also tested various web-sites with PHP scripts on macs and they seem to work but inconsistently. It could have the appearance of being slow bandwidth.

I am going to investigate and see if I might be able to alter my scripts so that they work on these browsers. However, I am told that there are better browsers available for Mac that do not have this problem with PHP. A friend of mine has viewed the site on Linux with no problems. Also, if 90+ percent of the people viewing the site are using browsers that work...? It's gotta be better than using a free hosting service with download limits that shut down the site.

Thanks for the compliments and corresponding with me on this one.

Where does it slow down exactly? With which browsers? The largest root file it loads is only 44k.