A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Problem WIth Flash Designers

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    if that is the case are you suggesting that content rich sites (lots of textual content at least) are not best done in flash. ??

Pixels are cool because they can be really perfect and you can make all types of stuff with them.

i agree...

... with label!

I would have problems if i had to manage a lot of text with flash. I could not imagine how to programm a search machine within flash. Maybe it´s just me... If i had to read a lot of text (i read at the moment a lot about copyright laws), i prefer to print it out.

[small]
    Originally posted by jderifaj
    I want to become part of the problem!!!!

haha...seriously though I really do want to become part of the problem here and discover how sites are creating the pixel graphics.

Pixel fonts..ok, got it, but are there any sites out there that show you how to create pixel graphics? I can't find any, and I've tried.

I'm not going to litter the net with this type of design, but I sure would like to try it and see how it goes.

thanks in advance
    A tut' ehh.. not a bad idea. not a bad idea.... (*evil pondering*)

I think that website design will evolve and is evolving like everything else. 2advanced must get its due respect for being, perhaps the finest-looking website on the Internet last year. Of course it's readable. However, each month, other sites come out that push the envelope. For instance, check this link out! http://www.blitzds.com Just found this site the other day off of coolhomepages.com It's amazing, no?

pretty cool.......

wow.... I like that one. I especially like the navigation.....very cool "snow" effect when the subnav drops down.

ok 2 things,

what are pixel fonts? and r u people blind, i can read what 2advanced says....it goes something like this... "my name is eric jordan and i think im the greatest flash developer of all time, we shape the new face of the web etc etc blah blah, did i mention i take it up the arse".

rich

funny...

interesting

i am assuming that this is the previous year's website? How did you come across this? I'm surprised they didn't make more changes for their newer version.

i have my monitor set to 1280x1024 and I can read the fonts on all of these high-texch websites just fine. perhaps it is a display/video card issue?

i knew...

... estudio because the were awarded at the flashfilmfestival, and i thought blitzds was a ripp-off. But they share the same address...

Our new site (http://www.up200.com) shows a bigger difference with our first one (http://www.i-mago.de)...

In reply to OddDogs question.

I beleive that if you intend to display a large amount of information you'ld better think twice about using Flash. Or think a third time on how to make the text look good, functional and easy to read in Flash.

I'm not saying that just because Flash isn't the best option to display big chunks of text it can't be done. It can be used to display text as well, and making it look good too. But keep in mind that Flash can be b*tch when it comes to being user combatible. There are tons of Internet users with extremly poor eyesight. H*ck some are even blind. And Flash is yet poorly integrated with the tools they use.

And, of course Flash is hard to adapt to every screen resolution, making your Flash presentation either very small or very large depending on the users settings...

Things to think about when putting a lot of text on a site is always:

A readable font, Clearly visible titles and paragraphs.

Not just a long page without a single break. And a sufficient font size.

If you define a fixed font-size with CSS 10px might be to small, rather to use are the ems measure(adapts to browsers font size setting).

Not mixing font faces and font-sizes too much and make key words and phrases bold or italic.

the bottom line

You're right, they have not perfected Flash Web-integration.

But the bottom line is that modernization is the transition from large to small. You see computer chips that come out each year and they are getting smaller and smaller, but with more power. Websites have progressed in much the same way. You'll notice that 4-5 years ago, websites took up 100% of the screen. Now, clients look at me funny when I suggest maximizing the product for pixel resolutions of 800x600. I have to explain to them that this is the natural progression of the Websites today. They are getting smaller, but containing more information. Surely, by the time Flash 8 comes out in 2004, they will have improved font quality. 2Advanced.com's font is easy to read, but is slightly blurry. It is small to give the effect of a modernized website. The website of the 21st century if I may. They took a bold step with this approach and should be commended. Eric Jordan is an premiere Flash designer, no?

http://www.globescope.com

Eric Jordan and his 2Advanced is overrated. Ok if he can make cool and attractive interfaces but his solutions are far from perfect. I think 2Advanced is more appealing to designers than the "real" user.

Also the "2advanced" syndrome of making a cool site and then making some updates every 4 months isn't very attractive either...of course lately they've updated their site lot more but I think you get the picture. Too many Flash authors put up a site and think they are OK for 6 months without ever updating.

But I agree about the fact that sites aren't getting bigger, but smaller. Hopefully it's just the fashion of web design right now, and not something lasting.

And I agree that has progress to be made. The onlyway to acheive real progress is to be the first to make something new....

someone tell me what a pixel font is! whats the difference between a pixel font and a normal font?

Go to this site for some reference>>> minimil.com
    They got some of the best Pixel fonts.

Brainiac, you are right that there is a difference between a site that a designer would like and one that a regular person would like. The thing with Jordan is that, if one looks at his portfolio, one can see that his clients' sites are not nearly as complicated as his own. Personal web development companies always make a kick-ass homepage so they can attract the rest of the development community and spread the word. You will notice that very few small businesses actually utilize the 2advanced model, or some of the other more complex webpages. I have seen a few on coolhomepages.com, but for the most part, developers like Jordan seem to make far more simplistic sites for their clients. And on coolhomepages, you will notice that most of the sites listed are those of design companies. I agree that the mainstream public is not ready for a full-on implemetation of the 2advanced interface model. Maybe soon they will be. But, first, the font issue must be rectified.

http://www.globescope.com

you can propose...

... the new topic.

who ever said that the whole page should be Flash.

...I mean why use Flash to display text if HTML is far better and usually easier to edit especially when your working with dynamic content or people who only know HTML. I'd say Flash is good for menues and intro animations but you might as well keep the content in HTML.

what...

... ?

I think I'm confused too.