A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Preloading

I have a intro animation that builds my main menu and content. I have animations that build new content when you click on a button in my menu. I find the preload time is to long, because it's downloading all the frames. How do I break down the preload time to do only per section on user request. Kinda like 2advanced.com or happypencil.com. If the answer is multi swf files I'm not sure how to do that...
    please help.

Thanks,

Lee

You'll find breaking your site up into multiple swf's makes updates and additions much easier in the long run as well as giving you greater flexibility. It's not that difficult to do and really expands on what you can achieve using scenes.

The movie that is embedded within your html page is on _level0. Any other swf's you load on top using:

loadMovie("myMovie.swf",X);

will be loaded onto _levelX. Just bear in mind that any movies you load will inherit the dimensions, frame rate and bg colour of the movie on _level0. Also, the top left corner of any loaded movie will always line up with the top left corner of _level0.

You can then build a preloader into each of your movies individually.

Hope this helps