dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: My bitmaps jerk and sputter!

That didn't help...

Alright. I know that there has to be a way...but I don't know what that way is. How can I apply effects to my bitmaps (such as a simple Alpha fade) without having it almost stop the computer? I don't know if this would also happen while moving the bitmaps, (JPGs, PNGs, whatever), as I haven't run across anything that I want to move. Am I missing some optimization strategy? Is turning the JPG quality to 100% the real problem? If I turned it down, would my problems magically disappear? HELP!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Uh...sorry. Cracked a little under the stress. I'm better now. No, really. Thanks for any help on the subject.

So wait, are you trying to move the pics (enlarge, shrink,etc.) or just have an aplpha change?

Hi,

70% is good

u can get away with 50%

my rules

100 = v big file (looks ace)

80 = big file (looks good)

70 = medium file (looks ok/good)

5 = tiny file (looks poo)

bp

Okay, I'm trying to apply an Alpha fade to a bitmap that I've inserted into my movie.It's fairly small, only 5K. Whenever I try to apply the Alpha fade to said bitmap, I get massive slowdown in my movie. Why is this? Noone else seems to have this problem. Even when I bumped the JPG quality down to 50%, it made no difference than if I were doing it at 100%. Can anyone help?

Hi, can u put it on a site so we can see what u mean

bp

Are you stretching your move to a percentage size (ie - 100% of the screen) rather than a set pixel size? If so, just about any transition of an image will sputter.

Alright, here it is. Bear in mind that this is not the effect that I wanted, but is representative of my problem.

After the intro, the background is supposed to fade in, so that there isn't an abrupt change. On my computer, an 866 PIII with 512MB, I get massive slowdown when this happens. It's actually something else that I wanted to do originally, but I can't get it to work.

http://coe.ilstu.edu/scienceed/cjelven/main.html

is the picture one big picture, u could crop lots out of it and have 3 small pixs

another way to do it is make a square (in flash) the same burgundy as the background have it at 100% alpha then fade it to whatever eg 20% alpha (the bmp, jpeg , png) always stays the same alpha less intensive on the computer

also another way to stop it chugging is to bring the 3 pixs in one at a time

fade 1
    fade 2
    fade3

that should help as well

hope this helps

bp

I do believe it's the scaling. Try publishing your movie with the stage dimensions rather than scaling to fit (or, as a cheat, shrink the size of your window and reload the page to see the speed difference).

Alpha tweening a colored square would help a little, but not much since the player still needs to redraw the bitmap every frame.