A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "barber pole" effect

does anyone know how to do a "barber pole" effect or smoothly flowing arrows in flash? i have a small rectangular window that needs to have a seamless animation of this type, and i'm not sure how to make it look like a perfect loop. do you know of any tutorials?

thank you so much! but when i click the link it tells me i don't have permission to access the server...??

Me too!

In the meantime, then, have a play with this.

1. Create an image containing a series of equally spaced diagonal red stripes, say about four times wider than the barber pole you are after. Make this a masked layer.

2. Create another layer above and draw a shape the size/shape of your barber pole. Make this a mask layer.

3. Animate the masked layer image so that the visible stripes appear to move downwards/upwards.

4. Experiment with the tweening to get the right movement - jump back to the start to repeat.

Put this all in a movie clip so you can use it wherever you want and size as required.

thank you...

it's the animation of the layer so that the stripes "appear to move downwards and upwards" that is giving me trouble...that and the jumping back to the start. i can't seem to get this to look seamless; there's always a blank space and then a glitch.

is there something i'm missing?

stacy

In the meantime, then, have a play with this.

1. Create an image containing a series of equally spaced diagonal red stripes, say about four times wider than the barber pole you are after. Make this a masked layer.

2. Create another layer above and draw a shape the size/shape of your barber pole. Make this a mask layer.

3. Animate the masked layer image so that the visible stripes appear to move downwards/upwards.

4. Experiment with the tweening to get the right movement - jump back to the start to repeat.

Put this all in a movie clip so you can use it wherever you want and size as required. [/B][/QUOTE]

The trick is to use a gotoAndPlay(1) instead of letting the movie loop by itself.

If you want the demo I built to test this, just e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

wow! it's very cool of you to do that for me! thank you!

my email is pershall@hotmail.com. i'd love to see it (i assume you mean you would send the .fla file...if not, could you?)

thanks,
    stacy

You should have it now.