dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Bitmaps not loaded (when they are)

I assume this is a Mac vs. Flash problem but I could be wrong.

Background:
    I am creating a virtual tour with 360 panoramas in a Flash environment. I have a main interface that loads separate "panorama" SWFs (pano.swf) into it. My pano.fla has a long bitmap in it that is the view that "turns". This image is 200px high and 1500px long.

Problem:
    I can create and test the pano.fla fine. And then I save it. Great, I'm done untill I need to change it, and I open it and the Panorama Bitmap is not loaded. This is the same for all my pano.fla type files (of which ther are some and will be many) that have these bitmaps in them. The problem lies in the size (pixels) if the images that I want to load as bitmaps. I don't know the what or why of this problem.

Workaround (so far):
    When I re-open a pano.fla to edit it I have to reload the proper image as the bitmap. I edit the file, save changes, publish the swf, and close, and when I open the file again I have to reload the bitmap AGAIN.

I've tested diferent file types as the bitmap that I load. (The orientation of the bitmap makes no difference) PICT is the one I default to and the problem started here. TIFF files display the same problem. JPEG files don't have this problem, but I would then have to make separate copies of my image cause I don't want my master as a JPEG (even if it is @ 100%) and I would be recompressing it in the SWF at whatever setting is best (which might change), and I just don't like the idea of compressing twice.
    If the JPEG solution is the only answer to my lost bitmaps I'll take it and make it work But I want a more elegant solution where my source for the bitmap is an uncompressed master.

Does anybody have any knowledge of, or random thoughts on, this problem. Mabey an elegant solution exists, a filetype that doesn't have problems in Flash, and works well as a master. A little history or explanation would help too.
    I am using a PowerbookG4 with OS 9.2.1 and Flash 5.0a.

Thanks for the ear.

Hiya Mani,

I can say that that this problem plagued me for ages when authoring the opera house site. I was on such a tight deadline that I didnt have a chance to track it down. But I did notice that it was an inconsistent bug in the mac 5.0a app.

if i get a chance in the next few days i shall revisit those files and have a look for you at what i did as a solution.

:-) quirks and foibles of the digital age.

your virtual tour site looks great!! fun and functional is always the best.

my only suggestions would be:
    - add inertia to the panorama. this gives the panorama a sense of life.

- speed up the refresh rate of the pano. this can be achieved by removing any sexy vector work that sits over the mask of the pano. In your case this is the map. I found that having any vectors on top of the mask that hides the rest of the pano slowed the pano engine down a huge amount. on the opera house tour, you will notice that there is very little vector work happening left-right of the pano. I changed all the artwork to bitmap and found that the pano engine almost doubled its efficiency.

Originally posted by mani_sf
    I assume this is a Mac vs. Flash problem but I could be wrong.

Background:
    I am creating a virtual tour with 360 panoramas in a Flash environment. I have a main interface that loads separate "panorama" SWFs (pano.swf) into it. My pano.fla has a long bitmap in it that is the view that "turns". This image is 200px high and 1500px long.

Problem:
    I can create and test the pano.fla fine. And then I save it. Great, I'm done untill I need to change it, and I open it and the Panorama Bitmap is not loaded. This is the same for all my pano.fla type files (of which ther are some and will be many) that have these bitmaps in them. The problem lies in the size (pixels) if the images that I want to load as bitmaps. I don't know the what or why of this problem.

Workaround (so far):
    When I re-open a pano.fla to edit it I have to reload the proper image as the bitmap. I edit the file, save changes, publish the swf, and close, and when I open the file again I have to reload the bitmap AGAIN.

I've tested diferent file types as the bitmap that I load. (The orientation of the bitmap makes no difference) PICT is the one I default to and the problem started here. TIFF files display the same problem. JPEG files don't have this problem, but I would then have to make separate copies of my image cause I don't want my master as a JPEG (even if it is @ 100%) and I would be recompressing it in the SWF at whatever setting is best (which might change), and I just don't like the idea of compressing twice.
    If the JPEG solution is the only answer to my lost bitmaps I'll take it and make it work But I want a more elegant solution where my source for the bitmap is an uncompressed master.

Does anybody have any knowledge of, or random thoughts on, this problem. Mabey an elegant solution exists, a filetype that doesn't have problems in Flash, and works well as a master. A little history or explanation would help too.
    I am using a PowerbookG4 with OS 9.2.1 and Flash 5.0a.

Thanks for the ear.

resolved Many thanks for taking a look

I apreciate you coming to respond to my post. I look forward to knowing more about this issue. I've lived with it for a couple months now and enough is enough.

I also am very greatfull for your visit to my test site, http://www.monitor.net/~manuel/bf, and value your input. I never would have come to the Idea that Vector artwork slows the Pano engine. And it seems a simple enough problem to handle (don't they all).

And if you will, I have another question for you regarding Panoramas in flash. I want a quick easy way to calibrate my Turning Indicators to my Panoramas without altering the script in each pano.fla and going back and forth to see if it's right. I want to know what trick you used to get all your turning arrows to point in the right direction, if there was a quick easey method. (Maybe you'd share some code?)

Again,
    Thanks to all who give of there time to help others. Even if it is mostly cause we're geeks/artists who can't get enough of problem solving, it's a nice thing we got.