dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: those blurry pixel fonts

this is very strange. i use pixel fonts all the time, and never have this much troubble. just following the guidelines should be all you have to do. is there anywhere is can go and have a look at you .swf or .fla

no not yet, can i send it to you?

if filesize isn't to big.

whats your email?

I'd like to see also

I realized setting the movie quality to LOW on my movie works for me simply because MY flash movie is only a simple navigation menu with only box and line vector drawings, so with more complex renderings, this may not be a viable option. Once it's fixed by carina, could you post a url where the people involved in this thread could take a look. I'm curious to see EXACTLY what the problem was and what the remedy IS. Thanks and good luck.

also...

Something else that works, once you have your text EXACTLY formatted how you want it, you can break the text apart and then group it (you can keep it as a graphical symbol). Then, movie quality really doesn't matter and the filesize will decrase as you don't have to embed the fonts...

Let me know how this works for you.

STILL having MAJOR PROBLEMS

c_cosenza can i still send you the .fla file. in the meantime i have finished the whole movie and it's terribly upsetting how almost all the pixel fonts are still blurry, i've gonna through all their settings according to the guidelines 10's of times.

i don't know if you ever got my last mail from a while ago because i kept getting return mails saying it can't be sent.

so if you're still kind enough to have a look at the file, please let me know which address to send it to....i would appreciate it immensly!

...if anyone else is able to help, that would be great.

TY

One thing I've found that really helps is setting the grid spacing to the best increment for the font. For example I use HOOGE 05_55...and that's best at 8,16,24,32..etc..so I have the grid set to 8x8 and it looks crisp as long as you follow the whole xy positions.

Check out this .fla here http://www.jonwiz.com/pixelfonts.fla

[Edited by jonwiz on 03-27-2002 at 11:05 AM]

thank you for the tip...however it also doesnt help.

i find it crazy that there is not one set of guidelines that works 100%. i see in this forum that so many people have the same problem and many many different tips are given that have worked for different people....it seems to be based on pure luck whether the fonts are crisp.

well maybe one day it'll work till then i'd still appreciate additional suggestions and if anyone is willing to have a look at my .fla i can send it to them.

TY!

Mail you fla to info@jonwiz.com ...I'll take a look.

The nature of pixel fonts is that they are made of pixels, sounds obvious I know but as soon as you try and alias pixels, you loose their definition and clarity, similar to text created in Photoshop. Setting a Flash movie to Low Quality removes all anti-aliasing from shapes and fonts. Maybe the only way you can mix pixel fonts and normal ones is to embed a pixel font only clip into a dreamweaver page that uses normal fonts. I have never seen a Flash site that mixes the two styles, although there may be many.