A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need to stop a M/Clip ???

Hi,

I need to stop a M/Clip at a certain point on the stage.

( I have an animated man walking from one side of a room to the other and I need his feet to stop moving when he finally reaches the other side, at the moment he walks fine but then carrys on when he gets to the destination - he looks like Michael Jackson at this point !!! (which isn't good !!).

Something to do with Actionscript ?????

Thanks

Buğra ÖZDEN
    moveclip = what your moveclip name

tellTarget ("/moveclip") {
    stop();
    }

a simpler way (in my opinion) is to use dot notation. give your movie clip an instance name...eg "movieclip" then put these action on the main timeline where you want the MC to stop:

movieclip.stop ();

("movieclip" is the instance name, you could use whatever you want for it)

I had the same kinda problem, only with a graphic... is it possible to script inside instances? or does all the scripting have to be controled on the stage?

yes, you can script inside instances. You can script just about anywhere you want, it's not limited to the root timeline. You can add actionscript to any timeline you want, (movie clips, main timeline) or you can add script to movie clips directly, or to buttons.

OK, but i can't script on(rollover) in instances.

or am i doing it wrong, if so, how do ya script it in instances.

on(rollover) is to be used in buttons. Then the actions will be run when the mouse moves over the button. If you would like to use this action on a MC I would suggest putting an invisible button behind it and attaching the actions to the button.

Yea, i did that. Only the 'stop' command isn't working. I made a loop, so that when the button is rollover it would go to next frame. But the stop button doesn't work. I copied the frames and put them onto the main stage and it worked fine. example of button [swf width="100" height="60" background="#000000"]http://www.geocities.com/gauek0/main/basic.swf[/swf] but that is using the main stage for scripting, i want to have all of my buttons in one .swf file. I copied the frames and put them in a mc, stop command didn't work. Same thing happened when i put it in graphic. more of the buttons at LoOkAgAiN

send me your fla and i'll take a look at it for you. If you dont mind that is, send it to: cletus_is_a_hick@hotmail.com

I've been having the same problem trying to stop my movieclip. Both the button and the movieclip I'm trying to stop are on the main stage. shouldn't it be just a matter of saying

on (release) {
    treeSpin.stop();
    }

Why wouln't this work? Thanks in advance...

The actions you have should work. Make sure you gave the MC the instance name "treeSpin". Keep in mind that actionscript is case sensitive, so make sure you don't have the instance name "treespin" or something like that.