dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can someone help me make an image vector?

Cool

Hi and thanks for your time, I have a small .jpg image and everytime I try to reduce it or enlarge it in flash it goes grainy I have read that I need to make the image into a vector image but I only have photoshop and it will not save as a vector image?? Can someone help me out here?

Search for "jpg2swf" on download.com. A small application that does only one thing; converts jpegs to swfs...
    Good luck!

Stjernvang

With in Flash Modify-Trace Bitmap
    Or Adobe Streamline:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/tryado...tml#streamline

Thanks

Originally posted by stjernvang
    Search for "jpg2swf" on download.com. A small application that does only one thing; converts jpegs to swfs...
    Good luck!

Stjernvang
    Hello and thanks for your help, I do not really understand the process with the program that you mentioned once the .jpg has been turned into an .swf file does that mean that when I import the .swf file into an existing.fla that I will be able to re-size my image without distortion?

Well, you can import it into flash, and resize it, but if/when you resize it too much it'll be slightly distorted.
    You can try to do some Photoshop-work before you trace the image, just to remove somecolors. If you do so, you might be able to trace it with "lower" settings, and the the size will be reduced. Then your will be able to resize it a lot more too.

Hope you understood this,
    Stjernvang

Smile I think the adobe streamline option sounds good

I am having trouble understanding what it is I have to do or trace or even how I should do this, I think I will grab adobe streamline and read the user manual..lol

Thanks guys

Did you try Trace Bitmap in Flash?

In Streamline go to Conversion settings- make sure it's set to unlimited colors. Default is Black and White. You can also change the curves/straight lines, noise experiment a bit. Then File-Convert, save it as Illustrator file (ai) Import into Flash

Cow Icon I will try that now....

It is a real simple image that I need to convert to vector, so I think it will be no trouble for the adobe streamline it sounds like a great proggie.

no dude, if you have a bitmap image is better not to resize it. if youre going to resize it it should only be scaling it to smaller size not bigger, and allways at the same exact ratio, so hold down the shift key when you rezise.
    tracing your bitmap in flash can easily give you bigger filesize and that doesnt mean youre gonna have better quality.

now I am confused...

What I have is a small .jpg logo just a small pattern and some text, very simple lines, the problem I have is everytime I try to re-size it to a smaller size, like down to 40x40 pixels it looses quality and looks unclear and not crisp? basically I just want to have a small but clear image, I was told that if I converted my image to vector that I would be able to reduce it and still retain clarity....was I mislead?

As I hear the logo exists just of simple lines...
    Best thing you can do is trace it in Illustrator
    using the pen-tool... Like that it becomes a vector
    image and you can resize whatever you want...

good luck...