dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash button in one frame goto movie location in different frame

Hey whats fellow flashers. Im sure this is a no brainer for you smarties, but its driving me crazy...I'm working on a site that has a flash movie menu in the one frame and the main movie in another frame. I need to be able to click on the buttons in the menu (top) frame and have them go to a certain location in the flash movie which is in the bottom frame. If I use the Get URL action, it lets me specify the frame, but not the label (location). If any of you guys have ideas or need me to explain further, please reply. Thanks.

Buğra ÍZDEN

Tell target

I cant understand all of your question but
    ř think you want to control a moveclip from an other moveclip this code can be usefull

tellTarget ("/moveclip") {
    gotoAndPlay (1);
    }

in tellTarget select what are you want to control
    and then your all of action go this moviclip

Post Re: Tell target

thanks, I think telltarget is what I need to use in order to controll a movie from within another movie, but the problem is still that the movie with the button for the telltarget action is in a seperate frame than the target movie. Any ideas on how to specify which frame name the target movie is in, anyone? Thanks in advance.

Buğra ÍZDEN
    good luck

i think I understand what you mean. Two separate .swf's within two separate frames on an html page. To do this in html, when you make the frameset you set the names for each frame, say "nav" and "main". If you were to set a link in the nav frame and have it change the page in the main frame, you would add an action like:

<a href="address" target="main">link</a>

this tells the browser to go to that address in the "main" frame. Now in flash I'm not so sure. But...within the get URL action you can specify a target. What would happen if you set this target to "main". It's worth a shot in my opinion.