A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Top use of 3D

Hybrid View

This is the best 3D stuff I've seen for commercial use.
    http://www.viewpoint.com/
    Go to demos | company to check thru the lot.
    Plug-in is large, but I got broadband so...
    The cars are the best, the amount of detail is unbelievable.
    They incorporate Flash into their plug-in as well.

resolved Oh no you dont !

The best of 3D you say ?

Then you should check out nvidia.com Geforce 4 demo..which is quite interactive and SMALL on size as well...

That is pure 3D streaming on the web..right infront of your eyes...

3D in flash....bah !! I laugh at it

Only joking....just tired of flashy 3d sites...yuck !

OK OK, that is unreal. Cult3D has the same sort of plugin as viewpoint. I can only start to imagine the applications.

more demos
    http://www.cult3d.com/gallery/default.asp

Check out the watch, it pulls system time. Also on the nokia phone, u can play with the buttons too.
    I love it.

Here is what i am talking about..forget Cult3D and Viewpoint...this is for real !

http://www.anark.com/

Well, I clicked all the links and installed all the plug-ins and NONE of them even came close to the Quicktime VR movies that have been around for ages. My PII 400 didn't particularly like any of the sites. Talk about SLOW! IMHO, they have a lot of work to do if they plan on competeing with shockwave, flash, or QT.

http://www.studio360.com/vrp/ricohwht.html

Kale

Quicktime isnt real 3D, it's a series of (or 1 big - panoramic) still images. If you spin a cult3d object, it seems almost to be infinite positions, you can change colours of objects and variables such as the time can be embedded into objects (as they spin). Also it is possible to interact with the objects, not just spin/zoom/move, eg. the nokia fones menu button works.
    I realise viewpoint/anark/cult3d are made for broadband (I have a pretty good machine and cable, so it's fine for me )

I'm still impressed...

Not bad, but not so great either.

resolved

hmm... you guys are not the first to say this...hmm...why do i think it looks outstanding ?

Anyways..maybe they could make some better demos... i have the program myself... what you are able to do is as follows:

You can import a 3ds file created in 3dsmax 4 or export a 3d scene from maya 4 and when it is imported, it actually keeps all the textures and everything in it that is pretty cool... and next you can put some basic actions in the 3d scenes... like go to frame 5 and stop...similar to flash... so...if i have made a 3d world in 3dsmax 4 and created a camera in anark studio..i just simply make an animation with the camera to move to a door in the world..if mouse down or something.. and suddenly we have an interactive world

It is very easy..and you can create some amazing effects..
    but it is merely for presentations i think... having a website in this...is not suitable.. since all the graphics and typographi is kinda edgy... anyways...it is only a beta version..so i expect this to become great someday !

QT isn't real 3D, but it gets the point across and works better than the sites I visited with "the latest technology". For the record, I'm not a big QT fan or a mac guy at all. Swift 3D works fine for me in Flash. If you like promting your users to download plug-ins and have confidence that they will work on the latest OS and platforms, knock yourself out...

Kale

user installed plug in = death

Flash comes pre-installed in browsers. Until something comes pre-installed it's only useful as a novelty.

It's cool, but not useable.

resolved

The best sites isnt flash only..or qt only... the best ones is those with HTML as a base layout with flash movies as menu items and etc..that always looks nice

qt isnt 3d ... anark is pure 3d

This game bugged me out the first time I saw it and it is still an incredible piece IMHO. This has been around for a long time now, I'm guessing a couple of years. We're talking shockwave here, nothing special...

http://www.shockwave.com/sw/content/realpool

Kale

ah damn..thx for saying that !! why didnt i think of that...bugger !

I thought he had some sort of super program

Plug-in's too large. Games are huge too. Spinning 3D doesn't do much, just spins.

Broadband is dying, not really picking up and until it turns around flash is the way to go for on-line gaming. ( about 5% outside of USA have broadband, not all that many in the USA either )

Even director with it's 1-2 MB plug-in which asks you to restart your computer, then some of the games are up to 6MB in size.

This will never reach masses on a really important level, that is why Flash beats them.

A good rule of thumb is. If a game or a plug-in takes longer to load than it takes you to pop in a CD into your X-Box or Playstation why bother with on-line games.

resolved

yeah..online games made in director aint that good...but there are plenty of online games which rock...but it aint no 3d or something like that.. just text based, but alot of fun anyways (planetarion.com)

Broadband dying ? hohoho ...no way... there is more people with broadband than you can imagine... and it costs ALOT less than modems too... specially in norway and the rest of europe i guess... over 70% have broadband installed in theyre homes right now...so...and it gets even bigger... more of us are playing games online, reading news online, watching cinema movies online and renting them online...and some are using it for Playstation 2 and Xbox... the future of broadband will for sure be amazing .. especially when FFXI comes to market...holy !!!**

But back to the web thing...

I have used Flash since the dawn of mankind, and
    i don't underestimate its power.. but i know that other programs like Anark Studio will be leading the way...not sure Anark will but something similar... it is quite amazing when you think of what you can make and the size of it... and plugin ? it self installs if you dont have it...dont get any better than that
    [Edited by Johnny Shiro on 02-21-2002 at 09:09 AM]

Yeah, I agree with Johnny.
    Broadband won't die, why would people want to go slower? In Aust, more and more people are getting it as becomes available in their area. I would never go back, and it would kill me if I had to.

More powerful plugins like Anark will be the future, they can display Flash anyway, and they make use of the right mouse button (small thing).
    I too use Flash extensively (full commercial Flash sites), and think it's fantastic, but there will always be something that will be better (maybe Flash 6 ), but then we get into ease of use, plug-ins, size, etc.

agree hope flash 6 will rule..since theyre community us huuge

Of course broadband is not going to die and eventually everybody will be on fast connections. But it will take years before it happens.

I just should rephrase that. In USA and Europe companies involved with broadband are dying and losing money. Some are already well known fiascos eclipsed only by Enron.
    ( Excite/ @home anybody??? )

There are not nearly as many new subscribers as they expected.

I'm suspicious about that 70% number in Finland. I just recently read that in Europe only about 5% of population has broadband and most people do not care for it.

I wouldn't count on Final Fantasy either. That is a very small niche market.
    You saw how poorly the movie did , despite being the most advanced CG feature movie done so far. They had to close shop and none of the planned movies will see the light of day.

We'll get there one day, but it will take a lot longer than we anticipated, which means Flash will be the choice for content delivery for at least a few more years.

oooOOoo itchy fingers.....

First of all..i live in Norway... and MANY have internet here... some havent gone over to broadband yet..but since broadband is like WAAY cheaper..they will for sure make the transfer !

Broadband is a neccessary nowadays..websites getting demanding, games getting demanding...even quality of online movies...

Have you seen how big the Final Fantasy community is ? it has several millions in Asia right now playing it..

And the movie "Final Fantasy" has no affect on the games.. FF the movie was made by Square Pictures a sub division of Squaresoft... The final fantasy games will live in our hearts forever !!! Already have had 9 sequels..and FFXI is coming to set the finish... ... Final Fantasy 7 was made Game of the year...so did Final Fantasy 8 ... and imagine the graphics of Final Fantasy 10 put together in an online fantasy world where your team mates are your friends and not computer AI .. !!!

Broadband and Final Fantasy is a huge money machine...