dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I'm Stumped! NextScene() on loadmovie() doesnt work HELP!

anyone tried this? i'm having trouble with telling a loaded movie to nextscene correctly.

I have a parent movie with button to tell the child movie to go to the nextscene

the child movie has 4 scenes inside about >10 frames each.

on (release) {
    tellTarget ("crap") {
    nextScene ();
    play ();
    }
    }

where crap is the target of loadmovie() loaded beforehand. Heres the problem whenever i press the button, the movie goes to the last frame of the last scene and stops What Gives? HELP! BTW nextscen doesnt work too!

can someone try this and tell me how to get it to work? I need it for a project and nobody here in my workplace knows what loadmovie() is.

Thanks

Actkid

Post hi lynx

try out this modified code :
    Code:
    on (release) {
        _root.yourparentmcinstantname.childinstantname.gotoAndPlay("crap");
    }
    or send me the fla.

doesnt work.

heres my structure
    - main.swf --> has player like controls to control child.swf
    |
    |
    |---> main.swf has movie clip named "crap"

loadmovie() child.swf to target movie clip crap.

i tried my first code tell target crap to nextscene the child movie plays the last frame of the last scene

thanks

BTW i've send the flas via email. please dont distribute.
    [Edited by lynx on 02-18-2002 at 09:25 PM]

use labels (no nextScene or frame numbers or scene names) with loaded clips. And make sure the clip is loaded before targetting it.
    hope this helps
    gparis

thanks i had the same problem although i was simply trying to tell the root to goto the next scene from within a movie clip. is that the only way to do it - using labels? it worked in flash 4 ok!

yes. Use labels. Flash doesn't need scene names. These are just for you so you don't get lost in your project.
    gparis

fair enough, thanks for the help.

Originally posted by gparis
    yes. Use labels. Flash doesn't need scene names. These are just for you so you don't get lost in your project.
    gparis

I solved the problem now. i made two functions gonext(), goprev() each containing nextscene() and prevscene() inside the child swf. to nextscene i just call the function from the parent. apparently parent just sees flat movie without scenes but the in the childs point of view, scenes still work.

so what i did is put gonext() and goprev() declarations in the first frame in every scene, that way it correctly goes to the correct scene.

thanks guys seems a little c++ background is useful after all i thought i could do it w/o programming but i guess this is the only way to make nextscene in child work properly. try it it works