A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mac vs. PC

one apple a day
    I thought about buying an apple computer, but i don't know anything about macs. the only thing i know is that macs don't have as much cpu speed than PC's, but why the hell do so much graphic artits use macs? what are the advantages of mac. any model you would advise me to buy? (PS: i'm a student, you know what this means as to the money...)

GRooVeZ is the name ;) PixelAddict's Avatar
    Originally posted by shorty116
    the only thing i know is that macs don't have as much cpu speed than PC's, but why the hell do so much graphic artits use macs?
    when a mac has 800 cpu speed, this is comparable to a PC with 1200-1300 cpu speed.
    One thing i know, is that Mac's or better for Grafical work, more stabile, Pc crashes allot, but you can play games
    I just hate the one mouse button on mac, and I dont like the feel of a mac, i definatly prefer a PC.

One thing i know, is that Mac's or better for Grafical work, more stabile, I just hate the one mouse button on mac, and I dont like the feel of a mac, i definatly prefer a PC.
    Agree... PC is better for Web stuff. Based on my experience.
    Mac's are better for Layout and Print work.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    I thought about buying an apple computer, but i don't know anything about macs. the only thing i know is that macs don't have as much cpu speed than PC's, but why the hell do so much graphic artits use macs? what are the advantages of mac. any model you would advise me to buy? (PS: i'm a student, you know what this means as to the money...)
    If your tech savvy you can build a far faster machine for half the price of a mac. what is your budget? How much do you know about software/hardware?. A cpu(s) is only a small part of the machine. You should look at memory throughput, hard drive speed etc.

quark is crap on PC's

Originally posted by RazoRmedia
    quark is crap on PC's
    ohh you can delete the "on PC's" and still have a factual statement.

Originally posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    Originally posted by RazoRmedia
    quark is crap on PC's
    ohh you can delete the "on PC's" and still have a factual statement.
    ha ha, true. I use a PC mainly but also have a MAC which I use for Quark only.

I want a PET or a VIC 20, thy were ace

one apple a day
    I think i know quite a lot of hardware, it's no problem for me to replace hardware inside a pc. what exactly do you mean? do you think of a "selfmade" pc or mac?

I think i know quite a lot of hardware, it's no problem for me to replace hardware inside a pc. what exactly do you mean? do you think of a "selfmade" pc or mac?
    Well Macs have a reputation of being faster and more stable. Thats crap (not as crap as quark, but still crap) hitting pricewatch.com or something else you should be able to build a pc thats much faster than a mac dollar for dollar.

So the big questions is why do you really want a mac? If you are familiar with pc's

what do you do and what are your need...

If you don't have money go for a pc ... you can get a non stable pc for almost nothing (a hp for 800 us)

But i do not agree with the fact that mac are more stable...If you use a nt generation of windows your computer will become really stable ... I use pc with windows 2000 server and haven't crash in 3 month .....The designer i work with use a mac and have a minimum of one crash a day.....

If you do web site you absolutely need a pc for betatest because you want to do web site that work for most of the people on the internet .... I think it is also good to test your work on a mac but if you have to choose go for a pc....

Many Designer don't use pc just because of the look ... Pc interface is ugly compare to macn that's true. If your job is integration you probably don't care...

If your a designer buy a mac because you will have more ressource from designer on a mac ... I don't know any designer that work on pc...

Originally posted by trionik
    what do you do and what are your need...

If you don't have money go for a pc ... you can get a non stable pc for almost nothing (a hp for 800 us)

But i do not agree with the fact that mac are more stable...If you use a nt generation of windows your computer will become really stable ... I use pc with windows 2000 server and haven't crash in 3 month .....The designer i work with use a mac and have a minimum of one crash a day.....

If your a designer buy a mac because you will have more ressource from designer on a mac ... I don't know any designer that work on pc...

Uh Hi, I'm a designer and use a p.c., I actually know more designers on pcs then macs. My home and much beloved nt machine has not crashed in almost 2 years.

one apple a day
    ok...i am a webdesigner - mostly flash. but i would like to learn to design images, not only for the web. i can handle the photoshop and stuff, the only problem is that i have a statement flying around in my head which says "Designers need a Mac". dunno why but that's it. do i really need a mac? what can a mac do that a pc can't? is there anything?

if you want a trendy monitor case, a fancy colored mouse, a machine that needs it's own software, and a huge void in your wallet - buy a MAC.

if you want to join the rest of the world - buy a PC.

stability - weak argument. i run every memory intensive software you can think of, and my WIN2K machine hasn't crashed in over a year!

Fire torpedos Captain!
    well, it's good for graphics i think, not for games. but it's extremely stable (i heard) and i'm going to buy 1 later...personally, i like PCs better (now even more since winXP). but for reliable computing, MACs!

ok...i am a webdesigner - mostly flash. but i would like to learn to design images, not only for the web. i can handle the photoshop and stuff, the only problem is that i have a statement flying around in my head which says "Designers need a Mac". dunno why but that's it. do i really need a mac? what can a mac do that a pc can't? is there anything?
    actually a pc can do more. It has more options for what you want to do. A P.C. can handle somethings in photoshop better due to the options of faster hard drives (raid) and faster memory (rambus 800mhz). Same with illustrator, etc etc. And most importantly flash runs much better on a pc.

mac can give you a nice interface

That's the only thing you can get on a mac that pc don't have ....

dear MAC users: GAME OVER

I used to be one of those people who swore that I would never use a Mac. I had used PC's all my life. I do web design professionally and I could do everything I needed with all the software I wanted on a PC.

After hearing for years from some other designers I know, I finally sucked it up and bought a Mac. Now, after 6 months, I have to say that I will NEVER EVER buy another PC. I have both a Mac and a PC on my desks at work and at home. My Macs are both twice as fast as my PC's even though the PC's processors run at twice the mhz. My Macs never crash but my PC's do all the time (yes, even the one running NT).

For doing graphics, a Mac really is a better machine. Most of the people who hate macs have probably never used one. It takes a little time to adjust to the interface...but after just a few days, I was in love. You'll just have to try it for yourself...

Jon

Go to any web site simultanously with your mac and your pc i garantee the pc will get there first specially for flash web site ...

The mac dual 800 processor that my designer use don't get close to my one 800 processor i have on my pc... when it come to web site

Don't try to do a render with a pc if you have a mac ...

Rendering for video or 3d is much faster on mac...

Mac and pc both crash it depends of what you put on your machine...(software) .... Again my pc is very stable and the mac of my designer is not...
    [Edited by trionik on 02-19-2002 at 04:01 PM]

Originally posted by jon_norris

For doing graphics, a Mac really is a better machine. Most of the people who hate macs have probably never used one. It takes a little time to adjust to the interface...but after just a few days, I was in love. You'll just have to try it for yourself...

Jon
    I'm not trying to be a smart@ss but why do you feel that the mac is better for graphics? I have a g4 at work and an nt at home. the nt is consistently faster and has never, ever locked up or crashed, the mac locks up at least once a day.