dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mac vs. PC

My Mac at home has a 466 mhz single processor. My PC sitting on the same desk has an 866 mhz processor. They both have the exact same RAM and hard drive size. My Mac is consistently twice as fast as my pc on both software applications and on the web.

I have the same situation at work...a PC with a processor twice as fast as the Mac...and again, the Mac is faster.

Yes, I know it all depends on what software you're running...and yes, I know you can crash anything if you try enough. Like I said, I used to be one of those people who swore that a PC was the best thing to use and that designers didn't need Macs...until I actually got one of my own.

Anyway, I don't want to argue about it because it all comes down to personal preference. I just wanted to pass along my personal experiences...that my Macs are consistently faster and more stable than my PC's.

Jon

GRooVeZ is the name ;) PixelAddict's Avatar
    Originally posted by shorty116
    ok...i am a webdesigner - mostly flash. but i would like to learn to design images, not only for the web. i can handle the photoshop and stuff, the only problem is that i have a statement flying around in my head which says "Designers need a Mac". dunno why but that's it. do i really need a mac? what can a mac do that a pc can't? is there anything?
    you only need that mac , to test your site you made, for that 2% of your visitors, on your mac

FK Official Postman
    Originally posted by trionik
    Go to any web site simultanously with your mac and your pc i garantee the pc will get there first specially for flash web site ...
    That really depends on network speed...if you can maintain the exact same network conditions and use the same ethernet adapter for both the mac and the pc, they should come out even.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Originally posted by kb1827
    Originally posted by trionik
    Go to any web site simultanously with your mac and your pc i garantee the pc will get there first specially for flash web site ...
    That really depends on network speed...if you can maintain the exact same network conditions and use the same ethernet adapter for both the mac and the pc, they should come out even.

Although that totally depends on the network, there have been problems with macs being added to a pc network.

FK Official Postman
    Thats true. Best way to test it would be having both machines with straight lines out...not attached to a network.

Originally posted by shorty116
    ok...i am a webdesigner - mostly flash. but i would like to learn to design images, not only for the web. i can handle the photoshop and stuff, the only problem is that i have a statement flying around in my head which says "Designers need a Mac". dunno why but that's it. do i really need a mac? what can a mac do that a pc can't? is there anything?
    Your best bet is gonna be pc.. I run win2k and have had only minor setbacks. NT is GOOD

I am also running on win 2k prof. edition and i have not had any crashes yet. I've been running it for a few months now. Works great and is fast i love it! But i can only say how good it is without comparing it to a mac because i have no mac experience.

question authority
    One thing i don't miss as a mac user is the freakin windows registry. And beige... how could we forget beautiful beige..

seriously folks, it don't matter what tools you use, it is the quality of your work that is important!

Originally posted by monkii

seriously folks, it don't matter what tools you use, it is the quality of your work that is important!
    yeah but the job needs the right tool

question authority
    which is usually a screwdriver for pc owners!

J/K!

Originally posted by monkii
    which is usually a screwdriver for pc owners!

J/K!
    Actually with my old acer i never even bothered to screw the case back on , however with my dual machine, i have never had to take it apart, well except when i added my truevision vid cap card

question authority
    yeah, my test pc has no case... i felt like i was taking it off and on at least once a week, so i just left it off..

Having worked on various Mac's for different companies with dual processors and shed loads of ram i've got to say they all sucked for Flash work!!!! and video (quicktime, mpg ect.) stuff.... dont get me started!

Although i've got to say this is most probably down to MM not testing they Mac version's fully.

If your interested in doing commercial web work PC is the way to go!

question authority
    I think you are a bit off the mark with macs and video. What about Final Cut Pro and Avid Systems??

What you should do is go down to the local computer store and see what prices you can get for building yourself a computer. AMD's are cheaper for the processors, but I still think Intel's are the best. And no, I don't want to see anyone post links to stupid AMD Vs Intel tests.

monkii, i should have said video work with Flash.

Even tho Flash isn't designed for heavy video work i prefer it to Director for creating CD-ROM's and find its far more stable on a PC for this

I've heard from a lot of word of mouth that pretty much everything Flash is more stable on a PC.

you know... sitting here typing away on my iBook running os 10.1... i can't recall it ever crashing...

and nordy... eat my shorts

game over my arse! funny how the 'winner' in your opinion is roughly 4 to 5 years behind and has to steal all of it's ideas and technology from apple every time they come out with a new OS.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want no sissy looking Mac sitting on my desktop.

GRooVeZ is the name ;) PixelAddict's Avatar
    the only thing i mis on a pc, is that you can specific tell your mac wich drivers must be loaded by start up, this is a very handy troubleshooting system