dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Browser shake? Need more info from tutorial! Please help!

Hey, I'm trying to make it so that my flash browser my movies in shakes when I have a little image come in. My problem is I don't understand what to do from the tutorial (http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Special_Effects/Shaking_-Mark_Fen-7/index.shtml) maybe I'm just stupid or something, but if someone could write out some really easy/simple steps I'd be very thankful. TY!

my thoughts.....

All you have to do is copy the code into your html file that you have the swf imbedded in and just put the proper actions where they are needed....

My thoughts on this effect though aren't very good. The tutorial is well written and I have no problem with that. The effect is a javascript that is embedded in a html page. Javascript is notorious for having different effects across different browsers. For instance, the effect works just beautifully in IE 5+, but when you preview it in Netscape 6 or other versions, it doesn't produce the same cool effect as it did in IE.

To complicate matters even further, I've heard that it can, at times, crash AOL users "interfaces" that they use to access the internet. This is something I DEFINITELY didn't want.......what webdesigner wants to drive people away from his/her site because of a glitch like that?!

For the reasons above, I've abandoned this effect and I've been recently trying to "recreate" the scripting in Actionscript inside the swf. While I'm not sure that there wouldn't be issues with that approach, I'm sure that it will be more stable than using Javascript.

Cool, thank you very much for the advice. Maybe I will stay clear of it then. Thanks again!