A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Group Project

What ever I was just posting it to show people what can be done.

Here what we got:

-Isometric
    -Role Playing Game
    -mainly centralized around money and power, not spells and levels
    -might not even have leveling up, maybe just money to buy stuff
    -massively multiplayer

so we got some people to do the online-ness and people to do the drawing for the isometric view (keep it simple), and people to make the iso engine. I will soon post up drawings of what the characters should look like. To water ur buds, they are simple graphics, some may call it childish, others call it pure japanese. You'll be the judge.

incredibulus-actionscriptum magnetos's Avatar
    hey doiv i liked that platform engine of yours
    you think i can take a peep to that fla??

nahh i will still persue my dream i will create 2 games
    1 will be a zeldish rpg game
    2 a mario-sh

then i will die satisfied

Smile magnetos

I can help you with both of those. Btw, did the thing I tell you work for you. I have a fool proof option if that didn't work.

nope i still havent figure that out (i am too slow damn it !!)
    i just bought "flash games studio" hope that will help

any thing you can do to help will be always appriciated

now i go bang my head on the wall a little....

ciao

Smile

so magnetos, would you like to be part of this thing?

i am no action scripeter i dont think i can be of much help
    i ll keep an eye on this thread
    if there is anything i can do (mostly graphics and ideas)
    i'll help

although i dont believe much in these group project
    i have seen so many started but none completed

i believe that group projects work only when no more then 3 people are involved and possibly people over 18 and up

look for example tommason and blinkOk project
    thats the only project i have seen on this board that actually is about to be completed (flash 3d sheesh.. )

you know i'm obssessed with 2d platformers and rpgs
    i really would like to see something like the secret of nana
    or supermario rpgs or a zeldish multiplayer on line
    that actually runs and looks as good as those on the supernes i still a little perplexed about flash5 capabilities though...

well catch you later

cia()

ciao

Smile Don't Worry about it

I will make sure that this project is completed, that is far from being a problem.

Smile Come on!

When are we going to start this project? We need to officially declare who is doing what, and what kind of game we're doing.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chri.../platform.html

I made this 2 days ago in about 10 mins after the idea popped into my head, then I just found this post, weird, must be a sign.

Anways, its not at all finished, but at the moment as you can see it works with unlevel surfaces, and it has jump uppable platforms and mario-style jumping (tap to jump, hold to jump higher).

Coolies, neways.

Thats really cool but I thought we were making isometric game.

DJide
    Well I like the post-apocaliptic idea and I think it should be centered around the money and power(wepons). I don't think it needs the leveling up. I like the multi player idea.

Oh yah maybe someone should write a bit of a short stroy line for it?

i wanna help... =)
    i can do graphics pretty much just draw. 2d and 3d graphics.

the only examples i got are

http://home.collegeclub.com/16EAG16/...neshooter.html

and
    a little something i did for someone else

http://home.collegeclub.com/16EAG16/files/players.swf

well if im "IN" let me know.

Flash Developer on a break
    Magnetos, that book is a great help with flash games.

I am free next week, so I will try to make every spare minute count. I will try to make a nice iso-metric engine. If anyone has some ideas(or sees example FLA's/tut's) for that, just tell me.

eag, I think we should get all the help we can get.

I also think someone should write the setting down. A small story of how life now is.

-Jeroen

Smile

aight! Nice work on the platform engine Prez! I made the same thing, but I want to make it scroll better. Yeah, we officially are stearing towards an iso engine, but that's good to see too. I would like to see the source so I can compare it to mine. Cuz in mine, you can hit the sides too, so its more realistic.

As for eag, I like your style. If you are able to draw like terrain in stuff, you would be perfect! Make sure you always keep it simple, and have it drawn isometricly, which means you have to draw everything 4 times (actually twice and you flip it horizontally but hey!). As for the iso engine, I'm making one that's almost done. All I'll need is to implement the tile engine into it, and a whole bung of other things like changing rooms which I know from the rpgs I made. Here is the code, for some reason, it always goes right, I can't seem to see what's wrong though. It's driving me nuts!!:

Code:
    onClipEvent(enterFrame){
    if (walking <> 1){
    	if (Key.isDown (Key.RIGHT)){ 
    		dir = 1
    		walking = 1
    		buffer = 10
    	}
    	if (Key.isDown (Key.LEFT)){ 
    		dir = 2
    		walking = 1
    		buffer = 10
    	}
    	if (Key.isDown (Key.UP)){ 
    		dir = 3
    		walking = 1
    		buffer = 10
    	}
    	if (Key.isDown (Key.DOWN)){ 
    		dir = 4
    		walking = 1
    		buffer = 10
    	}
    }

//scrolling "animation"
    if (walking == 1){
    	if (dir = 1){
    		buffer -= 1
    		this._x+= _root.Xoffset / 10;
    		this._y-= _root.Yoffset / 10;
    	}
    	else if (dir = 2){
    		buffer -= 1
    		this._x-= _root.Xoffset / 10;
    		this._y+= _root.Yoffset / 10;
    	}
    	else if (dir = 4){
    		buffer -= 1
    		this._x+= _root.Xoffset / 10;
    		this._y+= _root.Yoffset / 10;
    	}
    	else if (dir = 3){
    		buffer -= 1
    		this._x-= _root.Xoffset / 10;
    		this._y-= _root.Yoffset / 10;
    	}

}
    if (buffer <= 0){
    	walking = 0
    }
    }
    In this case buffer means steps left.

Whoa!! never mind, I figured it out while putting i here. I put the = sign instead of the == sign in the if statement! Anyway, you can use this code to see how it's done, I can also make the thing fly up in the air. That's all I had to say, hope this wasn't too long!

ARGORZ!!

OK!! I'm having serious trouble in perfecting the iso engine. I wanted to keep it tile based movement so that the collision detection would be fast and simple, but I'm having trouble in getting the precise movement. You can look at the code that I put before and tell me how to perfect if you would like, or just take that code and make our own, both options are fine with me. This is what we have to decide though, will it be a:
    -"click your mouse and the character moves where you told it to" kind of movement?
    -"click your mouse and the character moves into the tile you clicked in" kind of movement?
    -arrow keys based movement, where as it is free, you move by pixels.
    -arrow keys based movement where it moves by tiles (If you can get it to move whole tiles every time you press a key I can make it look good. Just give me the fla)

Get your votes in, well not really votes. This is really a discussion to see what would be best.

Lata

i looked at your sample and it´s as good as it gets but that´s why i´m not for tile based engine.Sure,everyone thinks it´s the best (and maybe it is for 2d games) but it´s way too slow for bigger game areas (in flash).I´ve got a c&c style engine in the works which combines two scrolling surfaces,one for the background and one for the objects on it.All objects in the seen game area have a swaptdepths code,so that they are aligned correctly depending on their y-value,and the code is turned off for the case that the object is outside the screen.(so that the swapdepts doesn´t slow down the game).i´m for "click somewhere and the character moves there movement".I already implemented that but now it´s a little buggy as the cursor is on the main stage and the charactermc nested in an mc and somehow the global to local code doesn´t work,hm,today i´ll see what i can do about it.any suggestions?

For some reason I can't see a lot of the posts in this thread...

Smile

Hmmm. Of course the mouse would be the easiest to use, but would there be as much action as if your mashing your keyboard trying to get the hell out of the way of gun fire? The real question is how much of each category is needed in this game. Let me explain more thoroughly. Other than the educational value of this game, we must look at what the gamer needs in this game. Here they are:

• Multiplayerness
    • Good Comunity
    • Action
    • Story
    • Conflict
    • Easy Movement
    • Good music and sound
    • Appealing Graphics

Now, many of these things go hand in hand. The most contributing factor would have to be action. Graphics, story, conflict, sound effects and movement all depend on it. This is why we have to decide if this is a PKer's dream or if it's more like an organized crime thing based on clans. As for my sample, you can't really see what's wrong by the code unless your really good. The problem with it is that it doesn't move perfectly where I want it to go for some reason. When I move it a lot, I realize that the movement is slightly off key, which is unnacceptable. If someone is willing to debug that little thing, I'll post up my fla. As for your c&c style game, tomsamson, I would like to know if you could incorporate some of that engine into our project. And I don't know enough to help you, sorry. What are you using the localToGloabal action for?

Flash Developer on a break
    My vote: -arrow keys based movement, where as it is free, you move by pixels.

Don't know about the mouse movements. Can't think of how to work out the problem of movement.(If you click on top of the screen and there's some terrain between, does the character automatically move around it?)

Although this would be the best option. Don't know how to do it.

Oh, is it possible for both of you to mail me the fla's? Much easier then. mail: jeroendenhaan@yahoo.com