A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: movies work diff/wrong when loaded

Heya,

_root.show.gotoAndStop(1);
    _root.zoom_info_2.gotoAndPlay(13);

these are 2 examples that work fine when they're played in their own swf by itself.. the MCs 'show' & 'zoom_info_2' are on stage and play correctly when called by a mouse event.

HOWEVER, when this swf is loaded into another swf, these actions do no work at all. could it be to do with the _root? i thought every swf had a _root, even if it is nested/loaded into another swf.

lil help pls?

FK

im no expert but u could using either the:
    _parent (supposed to control the timeline above the current one)
    or
    _level0 (possibly _root only refers to the main timeline of the current level)
    hope that helps

doh!! i read your message again after posting my reply and realised that i had misunderstood
    but anyways try referring to the level u loaded the swf into such as _level1.gotoAndStop.....

OMG the _parent thing worked thank you!

i'm sure i tried that before, and also i can't figure why it would work considering the mouseevent action is on the same level (_root) as the MC it's calling.

i would seem to be telling it to go one level above and yet it works anyway. hmmm

thanks again

FK

no probs, glad to b able to help
    i didnt realise that your scripting was in the same timeline
    as where u wanted to perform the actions
    im pretty sure u can forget about specifying the timeline if the scripting takes place in the same timeline and just go straight for gotoAndPlay....
    i guess the _parent thing worked bcause the external swf's timeline doesnt have a proper parent as far as flash is concerned