A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Suggestion: Subcategories for popular questions or interests

Lightbulb

Hi Flashkit, your site is the best Flash info site that I've been to and I've learned so much here.

I think the following suggestion will help improve the organization and usability of the boards to a higher level:

Implement subcategories to Flash 5 that may include these popular areas:

- Optimization
    - Load Movie
    - Browser Support
    - Popup Windows
    - Scrollable Text
    - Forms

The subject title is not always helpful because people often use emotional expression instead of the real keyword. Using "search" is not that helpful since searching in the title only might not be accurate/inclusive enough yet searching in the text might yield hundreds/thousands of articles.

Also, you might consider advising users to create meaningful/expressive titles that include the keywords of the question/problem. I think this new organization will improve usability and search success rate immensely. Furthermore, duplicate postings on the same subject will diminish and users can readily find all the right info quickly.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by jdileo
    Hi Flashkit, your site is the best Flash info site that I've been to and I've learned so much here.

I think the following suggestion will help improve the organization and usability of the boards to a higher level:

Implement subcategories to Flash 5 that may include these popular areas:

- Optimization
    - Load Movie
    - Browser Support
    - Popup Windows
    - Scrollable Text
    - Forms

The subject title is not always helpful because people often use emotional expression instead of the real keyword. Using "search" is not that helpful since searching in the title only might not be accurate/inclusive enough yet searching in the text might yield hundreds/thousands of articles.

Also, you might consider advising users to create meaningful/expressive titles that include the keywords of the question/problem. I think this new organization will improve usability and search success rate immensely. Furthermore, duplicate postings on the same subject will diminish and users can readily find all the right info quickly.
    jdileo,
    I also think it would be nice if people used meaningful titles, but we cannot make people use appropriate words in their thread subjects (unless we option the boards so that every post is moderated before it appears on the forums). It is recommended often but we can do little more.

Re: the subcategories.....I think there are too many options on what they would be and it would confuse people even more as to where they should post their question/s, they could be asking about more than one issue in their post.

david p.