A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: choppy animation

Hello all you wonderful Flash folks,
    I am doing an animation where a character is off stage and then I "pan" (with a motion tween) until he is in the middle of the stage. However, it looks kinda choppy. How can I make it look smoother? Thank you so much for any help.
    Adios.
    -A

the JesterTerrestrial Himself stumpy's Avatar
    Hello,

there are many tricks to get flash animations to work faster. A few that I have discovered are:

If the image that you are moving is a large files size (kb) such as a jpg image or a vector graphic with lots of curves animating in flash can make it look jumpy and slow.

Try moving only one object at a time. To much motion will slow flash down especially on older computers. Also if there are large images in the Background such as a jpg it has to redraw the image each frame.

Another tip that may speed things up are instead of using alpha use tint and change it to the background colour (if possible) as tint is less cpu intensive than alpha (so I understand)

Also speed the frame rate up. CTRL-M you can change the speed of a flash movie. The default is 12. I made a site and needed it to move faster so I set it to 18 and found that things zipped along nicely, give it a try.

Good luck
    Mike

Thanks for your reply Mike. That is very useful information for future reference. In this animation however, the image file size is tiny because it was made directly in Flash,there is no alpha/tint, or objects behind it, and i tried speeding up the frame rate before, which also didn't help. I am totally baffled as to what the cause of the choppyness is. Thanks for your help though.
    If anyone else knows what the cause may be please share
    Laters peoples,
    -Alessandra

the JesterTerrestrial Himself stumpy's Avatar
    maybe there are some keyframes that cause the animation to move off frame or course.

Maybe you need to add more frames to the animation. I mean instead of taking 5 frames to go from one side to the other try it in 10. Or vice versa.
    do you have a link to the animation. Or maybe you want to send the flash file and I can have a look at it for you.

mtoldnes@hotmail.com

Mike