A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: tips on flash file size

you guys know any tips on keeping the flash file size small??? is it good to use jpeg or gif images...the file tend to be big...any suggestions, thanks

JPGs are good for photos, GIFs are good for line art.

In either case, you will need to optimise. A detailed photograph for use at about 300x200 in an 800x600 movie should easily be reduced to less than 25k. Often, a lot less. And that is a good size.

If you are using a lot of them, though, you just have to take the hit. It is impossible (in my opinion - but I'm not aware of any quantum laws that can prove otherwise ) to expoect to have a lot of decent pictures and a tiny file size.

If you are going to use a lot of pix, load them on demand into a container clip. That way, people will only have to wait for each to load, and that is psychologically preferable to waiting for all of them to load - especially if you only want to see one of them

Remember that optimising outside Flash is fine, but be careful if you have Flash set to optimise, too. The image may get grainy.

In any case, it is useful to have a third party tool for optimising pix and compressing them (JPGs and GIFs).

I would add that you should test your individual pics file size by saving them (in PS or wherever) as a GIF, JPEG, and PNG. Its sometimes surprising the difference in file size between the three, and how it changes depending on the type of image it is. Sometimes the only way to know which has the best quality and the smallest size is simply to test it.