dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Frequent Flash crash

I have been experiencing frequent crashes while working in flash. This occurs mostly when I am selecting or copying objects. I have gone through the long list of suggestions mentioned in these forums but nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any ideas?

The files are fairly complex with audio, and many bitmaps but I have plenty of RAM assigned to Flash (128megs). Average .fla file size is about 8megs.

I have tried turning off extensions, rebuilding desktop, zapping PRAM, running with no other apps going, checking for corrupted fonts, no quicktime 5, closing sould palette (?), and crossing my fingers.

Flash crashes and the system hangs but won't force quit the app, sometimes a blank alert box appears, won't force restart often either. As well when selecting type the text boxes won't de-select until I click on a different tool in the palette.

I appreciate any feedback. All the PC guys in the office are giving me heat for using an "unstable" Mac! I would love to prove them wrong.

Thanks,

Lip

(ps: can't access flashkit.com from my mac either!)

------------------------
    Beige Mac G3 333, 256ram, OS8.6, Flash 5.0a

updated to flash 5.0a?

Try throwing the flash preferences away.
    Also try zapping the PRAM (apple-option-p-r during startup, wait for your mac to restart itself 3 times).

is just specific flas or all of them?

Hi, thanks for the advice - I will try. Crashes seem to occur most with more complex flas, particularly ones with sound (a guess). Just started happening on this project but the files are not larger than ones I have created in the past. I am using more scripting though...

it might mean that the fla is corrupted, try saving as something else and opening the duplicate instead.

I can say u that Flash give me a lot of problem when I've load a lot of fonts with, for example, ATM. It crash or I can see the stage... so if u have a lot of fonts loaded, unload some of them!

Bye,

I had crashes like that, i would bump up my memory when i worked on large files with a lot of sound. Once it crashed and the file was gone, and I looked in the trash and there it was, which shocked the hell out of me because it still worked. I thought all my work was gone, and the client wanted it that day, so make sure you back up often. Evetually i had a big crash, and lost everything. Now i have 2 internal drives, one for OS's and apps, the other for storage. Not to mention having them partitioned makes it easier to restore or remove and OS, plus I have a partition open for OS X when I get PS7.