dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Repetition / Resolution

All of us are coming up with a lot of the same ?'s, alot of them I see are about how to design Prof. Clean, Crisp Quality Sites.

Anyone have any insite on this for everyone so we can post it somewhere.

I myself am posting this because I am having trouble with Resolutions. Created my site with a 640x350 size flash screen, playing it locked size or fullscreen on the web everything becomes choppy when I go down to 640x480 or 800x600 everything above that looks awesome. Any ideas.

Here is my address
    http://www.nbuilders.net/temp/flash.swf

Beyond the Sea

I believe you are referring to...

bitmaps that look crappy if they are scaled in flash? Well, there's no way around it. If you scale any bitmap in flash, it's gonna look bad, even if it's just a few percentage points. I don't know why this happens, but it does. The only way to have crisp images is to keep them at 100% and optimize them before you bring them into flash.

If this is not what you were referring to...sorry...

Rich

not really.

I designed everything in flash, but it is Computer Video Card Resolution in windows that ends up making my flash site look bad, the resolution I create it in is 1152x864 but when I goto any other computer with a lower resolution it looks bad!

Goto my web address
    http://www.nbuilders.net/temp/flash.swf

Then change your video resolution to lower and higher and you'll see the HUGE difference, NOT USING ANY BITMAPS or external pictures.

Thanks for the help

Beyond the Sea

hmm...

actually, you're right...I'm not sure what is causing that. Looks great at my 1280 x 1024, but on 800 x 600, it's not quite crisp...

hmm, anyone else have any ideas?

Rich

It's all about anti-aliasing.

It's just the nature of the beast -- Flash automatically anti-aliases all curved lines. What does this mean? It adds in pixels of intermediate colors along color-contrasting edges, keeping curved lines from looking "choppy" when displayed in pixels. Generally speaking, it is our friend.

However, in lower screen resolutions each pixel is much larger on the screen, and so these intermediate pixels are more visible and distinguishable. It can end up looking "fuzzy" and can actually be harder to read than aliased text.

For those unlucky folks with low-res displays, they're basically going to have to put up with this problem no matter where they go (try finding a website with anti-aliased bitmap graphics of curved lines and viewing it in 800x600, same thing.) As long as your text is readable at all (which I feel it is) you shouldn't worry about what you can't fix.

Hope this helps,
    --J

Awesome.

Thats was an awesome explanation, thank you very much for all your help.