A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti Aliased Text

Does Flash MX allow you to unAnti Alias your text? IE for Bitmap fonts, etc... without turning it into a Dynamic Text Field? And if not, are we able to animate and/or mask the Dynamic Text Field now?

Josh Dura

So far no one has brought up the pixel-snapping feature of Flash MX - by placing your pixel fonts on whole numbers, you can prevent them from anti-aliasing. Not as user-friendly as, say, Photoshop's different levels of aliasing for text (strong, crisp, etc.), but a nice addition nonetheless.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    The answer to all of these I am afraid is NO. They didnt make any changes to the way text is handeled except for the new vertical text as far as I have seen so far and the ability to break text into idividual letters and have them still remain font outlines. How ever as CNO has stated it does work if you use the snap to pixel setting. Now that great if you can leave it snaped but....
    [Edited by Pope de Flash on 03-04-2002 at 12:32 PM]

Flash Developer on a break
    To make a note: This was already possible with Flash 5. You can place the text on a whole pixel by using the info panel.(X/Y coordinates)

-Jman

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    of couse I think most people knew that since pixel fonts have been popular over the last year now, the point of course was that you could use the snap to pixel command. Again it only works if you leave it set on that spot. Now if you move it you lose it.

Originally posted by Pope de Flash
    of couse I think most people knew that since pixel fonts have been popular over the last year now, the point of course was that you could use the snap to pixel command. Again it only works if you leave it set on that spot. Now if you move it you lose it.
    Well, really now, how important is legibility if your text is flying across the screen?

Torture!!!!!!!!!!!

Not being able to have aliased text without some kind of faff inducing workaround is ABSOLUTELY APPALLING!

Gutted...

Beyond the Sea
    "faff inducing"?

Senior Moderator
    Text can be manipulated with code completley now and so you can anti-alias your text with code using simply:

Code:
    textfield._x=Math.round(textfield._x)
    textfield._y=Math.round(textfield._y)

Flash Developer on a break
    Wow... looks kewl...

-Jman

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    See I knew Guru would come in and correct me Thats why I said that I know of

question authority
    It's still a shame they didn't implement an 'antialias off' feature. The current workaround has potential to get very frustrating...
    m

Thats what I meant, I was wondering if they had an AntiAlias off feature. I know of all the workarounds, they just get a bit annoying after a while, and now we are going to have to wait another 2 years until the next chance of them fixing it. Oh well, the other new features outway it, and I guess I am just being lazy

waiting for pope to call me a lazy BUM

Josh Dura

Still torture...

This is "faff inducing":

"Text can be manipulated with code completley now and so you can anti-alias your text with code using simply:"

(see above post)

plus, you still have to use pixel fonts. Major drag. OK, it's not really torture but it's a bit rubbish.

imagination through stupidity
    Originally posted by CNO
    Originally posted by Pope de Flash
    Well, really now, how important is legibility if your text is flying across the screen?
    well, theres a lot more to it.. if you have pixel text that is in seperate text boxes.. and you turn them into a mc. Almost automatically something goes wrong and they become antialised! you will probably still have to go back and fix a few things like that.. But at least placing text will be much easier.

Lets not forget this could also be used to keep objects sharper!!

imagination through stupidity
    Originally posted by FlashGuru
    Text can be manipulated with code completley now and so you can anti-alias your text with code using simply:

Code:
    textfield._x=Math.round(textfield._x)
    textfield._y=Math.round(textfield._y)
    thats always what you have to do if you have a scrollbar with pixel fonts in it.. just keep on Math.round() the values every step of the script.

I hate the dynamic text not being antialiased (only static)

Is this corrected in FMX?

I'm very upset

Hi Everyone,

All the new features of FlashMX sound great, but the one feature I need still hasn't been fixed. Why can't we choose whether we want anti-aliasing on or off text?

This is so frustrating!! I have writen to Macromedia about this problem and I encourage everyone else to do so as well so hopefully it will be in the next version.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/em...shform/?6213=9

In the meantime does anyone know any practical solutions to this problem. I have looked at using pixle fonts, but even a lot of these look crap unless you publish in low quality mode, which of course makes every thing else look crap.

If anyone knows any cool pixel fonts that work well in flash when published in high quality mode please let me know.

Is the best solution when building a dynamic site to use the _sans font? This ok when you don't need to scale for different browsers and screen resolutions. But if you scale a movie with the _sans font it ends up looking crap.
    Is there any other way than having to create a seperate movie for 800x600 and one for 1024x768??

I know I have a lot of questions, but I would be very greatful if someone can answer even one of them,

Cheers,

grandmasterC

question authority
    all pixel fonts can look fine in hi-quality. You just have to follow the rules - http://www.minml.com explains them quite well..
    m

Hi,

Thanks for your response but the url you posted http://www.minml.com is just talking about JAVA and XML and parsers no fonts here or advice either.

Does anyone know any sites that have pixel fonts that work well in Flash when published in High Quality mode?

Is the best solution when building a dynamic site to use the _sans font? This ok when you don't need to scale for different browsers and screen resolutions. But if you scale a movie with the _sans font it ends up looking crap.
    Is there any other way than having to create a seperate movie for 800x600 and one for 1024x768??

help me Obi1 your my only hope,

grandmasterC