A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anti Aliased Text

FlashGuru,

With regard to the lack of MX addressing this, I was just wondering, could you make a smart clip or a function that would point that great code to whatever text you needed on the page (or all of it, I guess, since it would make the appearance so much better)?

Also, won't it JUST work on Dynamic text fields, since it has to be a named variable?

There are lots of great looking pixel fonts which give you everything you want, and very sharp if you know how to use them.

Not all the pixel fonts come from the miniml website. There are many good ons out there!

There's a quality property now for textfields:

TextField._quality

But nothing for normal text. Just do no more normal text, place it on pixel and whoop, there it is! Ultrasharp!

Fredi

Btw., did anyone ever noticed that the Mac plug makes a much better atialiasing then the PC plug? I'm not sure why that is, but it really is a difference there.

Fredi

Originally posted by grandmasterC

Hi,

Does anyone know any sites that have pixel fonts that work well in Flash when published in High Quality mode?

Is the best solution when building a dynamic site to use the _sans font? This ok when you don't need to scale for different browsers and screen resolutions. But if you scale a movie with the _sans font it ends up looking crap.
    Is there any other way than having to create a seperate movie for 800x600 and one for 1024x768??

grandmasterC
    Pixel fonts do not remain crisp if scaled or rotated but should work for static and dynamic text. They must be placed exactly on the pixel and, if in a movieclip, that movie clip must be dead on pixel too.

The _sans font won't work on Mac in the same way as on PC. It will still be anti-aliased and have a slightly different position on the page.

Rob

There's a quality property now for textfields:

TextField._quality

But nothing for normal text. Just do no more normal text, place it on pixel and whoop, there it is! Ultrasharp!
    Hmm.. could you give a bit better explanation for that? Didn't quite understand it.. (I might be quite stupid tho, hehe)

Btw., did anyone ever noticed that the Mac plug makes a much better atialiasing then the PC plug? I'm not sure why that is, but it really is a difference there.
    If you are talking Mac OS X, then it might be the quartz engine at work.. which really looks nice.. I haven't noticed much of a difference tho..

TextField._quality <-- Forged it, I heard that this is just the same property like _root._quality (The quality setting over the hole movie)

I really don't know why they added it to textfield, too.

Fredi

Isn't that what the _quality property does? Turn off anti-aliasing? The problem with the old _quality property is that it would work only for the whole movie, so it was either on or off. If we could turn it off (set quality to low) just for textfields and jpegs that would solve a lot of problems... Not to mention save host computer resourses.

Phil

Hi guys,

Thanks everyone for their help. Thanks Moises for the links I have found some cool pixel fonts so cheers for that.

Subway thankyou for the info on what can now be done with flashMX using the TextField._quality. As I don't have FlashMX...yet, but will do by friday. Could you please tell me exactly how I would set an individual text field quality to low while maintaining the rest of the movie is high quality mode?

would it be something like

textfield._quality=LOW;

And are you sure that it will leave the quality of the whole .swf in HIGH mode, because I thought ._quality was a global property and as such would change the appearance of everything in .swf???

Cheers

grandmasterC

question authority
    If that works, that would be great!
    setting quality to low on the text field would effectively turn off antialiasing.. or is this just wishful thinking
    grandmaster - sorry bout the typo before - it's http://www.miniml.com

It will not work, the textField._quality is the same like the movie quality, so no change to set different qualitys for different objects. Sorry.

Fredi