A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: can I use alpha in a mask?

Arrow

I have created a movie and want to use it as a mask. It works fine although the alpha parts don't work as I thought they would, (all parts behind the alpha are shown). A have created three ball each larger than the other and on different layers, They all have the same center and have a tween operation to increase scale then go back to normal. During this tween the alpha changes on each layer seperatly. When you play the movie from the library it works fine.

so the explainations so long winded, I hope it is clear and someone can help, thanks joel.

If you want the stuff that you see to be alpha tweened, you need to alpha tween what is being masked, not the mask itself.

does this help?

mg33

the traveler
    good suggestion mg33. it is true you can not monkey with alpha on a mask. on a mask layer, the area is either 100% masked or not. no inbetween. you cannot utilize a gradient either in a mask. to get certain effects you have to manipulate what is beneath the mask.

Yah, look at my footer. That uses a ring as a mask, as a seperate movie clip. The ring expands on layer 1 as a mask layer, and the enlarged (105%) image is the layer beneath the mask. That image changes from alpha 0 to 100, holds at 100, for 15 frames, and fades back down. That is how it is done.

mg33