dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: smooth animations

Some Flash animations I've seen look smoother than one could possibly get using shape or motion tweening and a reasonable frame rate.

I've been trying to create very smooth animations using ActionScript, but so far without success.

My plan was to write a subroutine that gets, increments, and sets the x or y position of a movie clip then loops back and does it again and again until the movie clip has moved as far as I want it to. This didn't work because the screen doesn't update while in a loop. Other things I tried were equally unsuccessful.

Does anyone know how to do this? (Or if it's even possible?)

Thanks.

I don't know what kind of motion u're trying to achieve that motion tweens wont do. Motion tweens work quite smoothly. Maybe if you give some details about what you're trying to achieve I could give you a better answer.

So, say you had this stylized way of showing a guy throwing a punch.

You play the first bit of it, and then loop back and replay it again, showing a bit farther this time, and then do it again showing a bit more. Doing it all at high speed, until the movement is fully completed.

I think that's one application of what you seem to be trying to do, right?

Originally posted by stef3d
    I don't know what kind of motion u're trying to achieve that motion tweens wont do. Motion tweens work quite smoothly. Maybe if you give some details about what you're trying to achieve I could give you a better answer.
    What I'm trying to do is create an animation that's as smooth as possible, with no 'jumpiness' at all. (For something simple like moving a circle across the screen.) Motion tweens are quite smooth, but I've seen some Flash animations that are so smooth that I don't believe them to be motion tweens. I'm convinced there's a trick that some have discovered and I'd like to learn it.

Thanks for your help.

Use hand-drawn in-betweens.
    Seriously, I'm not only a proponent of this method because I am trained as a traditional animator - I have also noticed through observation that computer generated tweening sometimes gives you wierd anti-aliasing and artifacts, whereas doing the in-betweens yourself gives you the best control (if you didn't put it there, it's not gonna be there), and each image will be of the same high-quality.

Try upping the frame rate to 30 fps, and using lots of frames. If all you are doing is moving a circle across the screen (or other simple things) then it should be smooth as silk.

Jimmy T. Brain
    [Edited by Jimmy T. Brain on 09-21-2000 at 10:10 PM]

He's right, frame rate has a lot of effect on how smoothly an animation is... just look at his banner. If you want to up the frame rate, Its on the movie settings in flash.

I hope this helps.

Originally posted by Jimmy T. Brain
    Try upping the frame rate to 30 fps, and using lots of frames. If all you are doing is moving a circle across the screen (or other simple things) then it should be smooth as silk.

Jimmy T. Brain
    [Edited by Jimmy T. Brain on 09-21-2000 at 10:10 PM]
    I set the frame rate to 30 fps (to move a circle across the screen), but the fastest it played was about 18 fps (according to the Frame Rate Indicator on the Timeline). I must be missing something.

Thanks for your help.