A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mac wireless networking

OK, so I've got a wireless Airport card for my laptop, and am looking into setting up a home wireless network. But according to what I hear, there are wireless base stations which work better and are cheaper than Apple's offering - anyone have any experience in this area?

Gerbick, I'm looking in your direction?

LOL... you just knew I would stumble across this, eh?

seriously, I would get either Netgear or Dlink wireless hubs instead.

I use the Netgear MR314 and I remember getting it at Buy.com for something cheap + a $50.00 refund. But that was months ago.

The Dlink ones... they are cheap, but nice - they use that at one office I consult at - however, their web interface/changes leave something to be desired as well as the range - I would SWEAR they have half the range they advertise. Also, they did not support 64-bit encryption for a while... I think the newer ones do.

Of course, make sure you are running Airport 2.02 drivers for your card. If not, you will not be able to get into a 128-bit encrypted network.

3Com... I don't like. They are cool, but I had real issues when I used to run only 64-bit WEP encryption. It used to "switch" my subnet mask sometimes, and I could not see my own machines

anyway, hope that helps

You're the hardware guy.

Yeah, it definately helps. Price isn't really as much an issue as compatability and security, though I did hear that there are base stations cheaper and better than the Apple one.

I'm pretty much entirely OSX now, so I'm sure the Software update will let me know if I need new drivers (if I haven't gotten them already)

Thanks!

Hi.... A Wireless Hub is an interesting idea, double check for Mac compatibility, secondly, not sure what kind of internet connection you have but a router is a good idea if you surf using ADSL / DSL / Cable ... so not only do you have a wireless network (Hub) but you can surf with all your computers at a pretty decent speed. With Wireless routers also double check for Mac compatibility.

An interesting point is how many wireless frequencies will be flying about your office... mobile phones, wireless telephones, wireless lans etc etc..

Airport is 802.11b. So, it will support any 802.11b compatible hub.

just don't get a 40-bit WEP encryption only hub. that's a bad thing.

funny you bring up the wireless frequency thing. I have one cordless phone that just causes HAVOC with my wireless NICs.