A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: latest Flash MX news

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™

Re: no..

Originally posted by jtibbles
    nah, it seems you have to have bought Flash 5 , the full version, a t a certain time, i.e. when it was first released in 2000, to be eligible for a free upgrade
    Well... Posted this in another topic:

Originally posted by gSOLO_01
    read quotes below

if you buy flash 5 (full) you get mx free. that dosen't really make sense to me. if i buy a lower cheaper version i get the bigger better one free? (save $200)

but that's what it says...

anyways i'm getting the upgrade version

Flash MX Macromedia Customers who purchased Flash 5 on or between the dates of February 4, 2002, and April 19, 2002 are eligible for a free upgrade to Flash MX.

Requests for free upgrades to Flash MX must be received by June 19, 2002.

eLearning Studio Macromedia Customers who purchased eLearning Studio on or between the dates of February 4, 2002, and July 14, 2002 (dates subject to change) are eligible for a free upgrade to Flash MX.

Requests for free upgrades to Flash MX must be received by September 14, 2002.

Web Design Studio Macromedia Customers who purchased Web Design Studio on or between the dates of February 4, 2002, and July 14, 2002 (dates subject to change) are eligible for a free upgrade to Flash MX.

Requests for free upgrades to Flash MX must be received by September 14, 2002.
    Macromedia offers free upgrades to customers who purchase software from an authorized reseller during the period extending from one month prior to the announcement date of the new version to one month after the first ship date of the new version. Free upgrades are available for a limited time only. Requests must be received within three months of the date the new version first ships.

This upgrade policy applies to full copies of Macromedia Software only.

Versions that are not made by Macromedia and versions that were bundled with non-Macromedia products are not eligible for free upgrades from Macromedia. This policy may vary slightly by product.

LOL, that's something that only can happen when many persons work on the same subject.

But anyway, great for all who knows it.

Macromedia's Free Upgrade Policy
    Macromedia offers free upgrades to customers who purchase software from an authorized reseller during the period extending from one month prior to the announcement date of the new version to one month after the first ship date of the new version. Free upgrades are available for a limited time only. Requests must be received within three months of the date the new version first ships.

peeks head in, sees more complaints...

walks back out. uninterested in saying that if you already have flash, it's only $199 upgrade, unless you purchased within the last month. then it's free anymore.

I do have one rhetorical question. if you have a flash footer, or flash on your site, WHY would you pay full price? Upgrade people. Upgrade.

sheesh...

You are a women.. hehe (I know, not all women are like that)

Originally posted by Ed_Mack
    You are a women.. hehe (I know, not all women are like that)
    nope. I'm a man.

flunking english, eh Ed? a women!?

What exactly is an authorized Macromedia reseller? Does this include anybody selling Macromedia products legally?

I am understanding that if I buy Flash 5 at full retail price before April 19 (~$330), I will be able to upgrade to Flash MX for free. Affirm or Reject my last statement and please help me understand the first two questions.

Cheers!

P.S. If I am correct in my understanding their upgrade policy, would it still be better to just buy Flash MX instead and forget about upgrading? If you get a free upgrade from Flash 5, does that include the Flash MX user guide?

here is the thing

$500 is nothing for a complete design environment with a powerful scripting language. Here is what they've done:

- Added generator abilities to dynamically import JPG's and MP3's on demand

- Seperate SWF can now communicate to each other

- With the Flash MX server, you can now integrate Flash right to the server tier cutting out the HTTP communication. Flash now becomes a whole UI to the server tier - this alone is an amazing step.

Not to mention all of the other additions. Flash is becoming not only a complete design and animation environment, but a complete development environment too. Now we will be able to build applications in Flash, not just pretty web sites. $500 for this is a steal. I'm sorry it may be above your budget, but for the return you receive it's nothing.