A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash MX and connecting with database

On one of the links somewhere in this board, someone explained that MX projector files can connect to websites to check if products are available, and other database related stuff.

I'm a bit confused -- can't you already do this with flash 5 projectors? I have a cd-rom which I connect to our website for statistics purposes (using ASP/SQL) and it works just fine.

Is there something new that I'm confused about?

?

thx

Chris.

I don't think there is any confusion from your side, opacitydesign.
    What macromedia DOES mean is that with a near-future-release of ColdFusion (probably version MX) the capabilities of Database driven pages will be much greater.

Nonetheless, the same old story will apply to Flash MX as to Flash 5 with all three major server-side "pairs": PHP/MySQL, ASP/SQL and CGI/Perl.

The most simple validation rule is still the liking and the knowledge. If you handle ASP and Access databses or SQL easier than Perl or PHP, then just go for it! This obviously applies to all designers and programmers like me, who are anywhere in between the "more than a hobby" and "not yet a king of the road"...

I agree with you Abelius....