A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: MX !!!

I am so excited about MX.... I am developing multi-language web apps and the Unicode support is just genial.

I have been using XML intensively in these apps, and to know that the folks at MM took XML seriously is fantastic.

In the apps I am developing I spent DAYS coding list boxes and other controls.... Finally MM came with the expected goods. Now we can program full-blown multmiedia applications.

I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy of MX. nay ideas when they will be shipping?

Senior Moderator
    Electronic Download on the 15th March

OK, this is the very first thread on this newly opened forum. But this is not the real reason for my posting.

The reason is that jossifresco mentions something that brings a litrle complaint to my mind:
    I am developing multi-language web apps and the Unicode support is just genial.

Ok, here is the complaint:
    - Chinese? Yes (both traditional and simplified)
    - Japanese? Yes (all three kanji, Hiragan and Katakana)
    - Spanish? Si, amigo!
    - Korean? That too...
    - and so many, many more...

That makes it for languages that are written from left to right and languages that are written downwards. But what about languages that are written from right to left? Hebrew, Arabic, Persian and Shingalese would probably be just a few examples of that. Don't they count?

Or am I simply not seeing something right?

[i]Ok, here is the complaint:
    - Chinese? Yes (both traditional and simplified)
    - Japanese? Yes (all three kanji, Hiragan and Katakana)
    - Spanish? Si, amigo!
    - Korean? That too...
    - and so many, many more...

That makes it for languages that are written from left to right and languages that are written downwards. But what about languages that are written from right to left? Hebrew, Arabic, Persian and Shingalese would probably be just a few examples of that. Don't they count?

Or am I simply not seeing something right?
    [/B]
    All of the above are supported in Unicode encoding UTF-8.

There is no problem in adding Hebrew (Medaber hibrit?) (or any left-to-right language). (I did it already even on Flash 5). Simply use the right font, the right codepage and set the justification to right justified.

In Unicode is much simpler....

-- Jossi