dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok, convince me why I should get MX

Smile

[devil's advocate]

ok, I just bought Flash 5, why should I upgrade?

okay, give your best sales pitch people.

interactive technology
    because its tons better, and your upgrade price is low

LOL...
    Now that's an idea to make a "hot" topic!

Originally posted by gerbick
    [devil's advocate]

ok, I just bought Flash 5, why should I upgrade?

okay, give your best sales pitch people.
    damn! you just cut my first argument off at the knees (it would have been, are you still using flash 4?).

ok. here's my pitch:

from what i've seen and read, this is not just a jump from 5 to 6, it takes many of the things the professional Flash community has been asking for and put it all into one package. in order to deliver truly dynamic rich media content, we no longer have to talk clients into potentiall expensive generator-based solutions or create workarounds that limit our creativity, but can put solid creative work in front of the client, and then put an interface on their desktop that will allow them to maintain their content.

this product has, in my opinion, the potential to challenge html as the weapon of choice for delivery on content on the web. (now if that won't start some commotion here, i don't know what will). once clients see what can be done with Flash MX and can be produced and maintained as cost-effectively as html, i think we will see a revolution in how content is delivered on the web.

remember this, Flash was released in 1997. that was five years ago. FIVE YEARS! back then old grizzled veterans like us were fighting battles with clients over "cutting edge" elements like java rollovers and frames. look how much as changed in that short period of time. imagine where this nutty thing we call the internet will be in another five years. do you want to be at the forefront of that change? get Flash MX.

finally (hey, you asked) if you are a serious developer who makes his or her living from pushing pixels, you should get this application. the workflow improvements alone should pay for the upgrade in your first week of billable hours. beyond that, what this allows us to offer our clients is amazing. to date, Flash has been cool, but pretty much a luxury. now we can offer our clients a way to use Flash to not only drive traffic, have users spend more time on our sites, ensure that users will return on a regular basis, and that they will see new content every time they come, but we can show our clients how they can make money doing all of this.

there, that's my rant. if you are not all hopping out to buy this thing next friday, there's nothing more that i can do.

take care,

d.

good so far. keep it up guys.

good so far. keep it up guys.
    does that mean you're going to buy it and i can go watch the rest of the sharks game now?

d.

between you and I, I already prepurchased. this was just an attempt to concentrate all of the "OHMYGAWD, It's $499 for the full, $199 for the upgrade, $99 for the academic" posts.

just making the more sensible guys talk about it.

Just bougt flash 5?

The question here I think may be... How long ago did you buy FLASH 5? I know most companies offer free upgrades to recent purchases if with in a certain time of new version releases. usually 30 to 60 days (usually 30). Just thought I would bring that up B4 you slap down your under $200.

there have not been any mentions of recent buyer discounts. yet.

recent equals under a year ago. barely

between you and I, I already prepurchased. this was just an attempt to concentrate all of the "OHMYGAWD, It's $499 for the full, $199 for the upgrade, $99 for the academic" posts.

just making the more sensible guys talk about it.

i figured as much. i almost jumped into the "other" thread, but i figured that it was not worth it. i'm serious though, after what i saw yesterday, anyone who uses flash for a living should find a way to buy this product.

i'm also serious, i'm shutting down and going to watch the hockey game. have a great evening.

d.

About the free upgrade...I came upon this little nugget of knowledge on MM's website regarding free upgrades:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/se...ts/upgrade.htm

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Originally posted by Pope de Flash
    http://www.flashkit.com/reviews/flashmx/
    LOL. you should get MX cos the pope says so and you don't want to argue with him cos he's a big lad

That one sounds like a reasonable argument... LOL
    Convinced yet?

Originally posted by swampy
    LOL. you should get MX cos the pope says so and you don't want to argue with him cos he's a big lad
    so am I

guys, keep up the reasons... I just want the others to see why too

I know

Very obvious to a flasher

It's like this.....if you are an avid collector of a certain thing, let's say baseball cards for a general example, and you had your choice of being a fan of Barry Bonds specifically and a new card came out that might cost you a few dollars more than you would like, as a kid, would you not buy it?
    Now......in the same manner, if you have ever developed just one flash piece you have seen at least some of what it can do (even if it is an older version like 4 or something) and chances are if you are in this thread you must have some liking of the application itself. Why in the world would you question getting the new version? Yes, clients can bicker all they want, and yes, they do give you the money that it takes to buy the new toys and apps. The application itself has given us the opportunity to use the talents we have, and here we are constraining it because someone has to download a 900k player to view our content. Technology is the future, so my guess would be that if you're not getting the new app that you plan on looking at your 2001 Barry Bonds baseball card until your fifty, lol.

Free Upgrade

I see the free upgrade deal from 5 to MX is official...

http://www.macromedia.com/support/se...ent_offers.htm

Because, you won't have to pay for director on your big projects.. Think of the saving, $200 now, never have ot bother with any generator (well, its discontinued, but using jpg's instead of swfs is so much nicer)

Anyway, its not that much!

BTW, are oyu a designer, developer or boss of firm?

I already own Director 8.5... unfortunately, don't use it enough though

Ed, I'm more of a programmer than anything else.

I own my own business though/freelance.