A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is there going to be a MX player

Is there going to be a new player for the MX or can all the coding that is done in it be played over the 5 player . It sounds really interesting, but trying to sell one more client on having there users to download yet another player would be shooting myself in the head .

Senior Moderator
    To run the new Flash MX features you require the latest flash 6 player

Oh God that means most people that have no idea about players which is the vast amount of people will not have the player till about 6 months from now. Jesus Whats the point .

Owned By Code
    It's relaly only a problem for MAC users and even then you can get around with some simple javascript that is already built into flash.

If people want your content, they will download the player.

Pretty simple as far as i'm concerned.

I agree but maybe you should say that to some of the clients of the world believe me they will laugh you out the door . That's good news about the javascript will fix the problem but how simple is the javascript that you would have to code for the mac users.

Agreeing...

yeah...

Customers hate it when a site takes a while to load....

The major problem with the Flash plugin is that it downloads behind the scenes and for those slients/customers that are using a dial up connection they are waiting for what they think is nothing.

I usually create a flash 3 movie, with a bit about the need for a new plugin.

Then at least they are kept amused in Flash3 while the plug in downloads.

Hmmm

Good idea ?

Owned By Code
    Actually yeah in Flash 5 when you goto publish you can have it make an HTML document that uses a document.write function which has been in use since gen 4 of the browsers. I recently completed a contest page using flash 5. Basically what happens if you have anything less then flash 5 you get a static image with a download flash 5 link in the corner. If you don't have javascript turned on then you get another static image with the text " Javascript must be enabled to enter this contest"

So far no complaints so it must be working just great

Sorry but I don't quite get you . Your saying when you go to publish settings in flash 5 it gives you an option to save a html page which will display a image and a download link for the upgrade .I just opened flash 5 and didn't see this anywhere is it in the html section of the publish
    settings preferences.

Owned By Code
    LOL I had to open flash to remember what it was called exactally...

Goto publish, you'll see template. Use the drop down and select Ad Flash 5 or something like that. When you hit publish your HTML document with the same name as your flash will have some document.write code in there... basically what you have to do is paste that code where you want your flash movie to be displayed. As you look through the code you'll see a gif alternative spot and you'll also see a <noscript> that means the person doesn't have javascript turned on... in which casae you should punch them j/k you can also just put an alternative graphic there as well....

If you need some code just ask, I'll paste the one I used...