I think we all noticed the awkward lack of supporting video in F5, but could see that to incorporate video would place flash in direct competition with Director...I'm glad to see Video in MX but what about Director?Lingo? Also, I've read that flash supports updateable .jpg files, which sounds like it's edging in on Generator's turf...Are we going to find no need for Generator shortly? Please speculate with me...Love, J_red
Generator is not on the main products list anymore.
Q. What does this mean for Generator?
A. As we move towards this vision for Macromedia Flash applications, later this year we will be transitioning from Generator to this new product architecture and will provide a path for existing Generator customers. In moving to this new generation of server products, we will be ceasing further feature development on Generator, though we will continue to provide support and maintenance. We value your support and use of Flash for dynamic content, and look forward to advancing the state of the art in dynamic content and application development with you. While there's no need to stop using Macromedia Generator, we want to make sure that you are aware of this upcoming transition.
I have found Director to be the best way of putting video on the web. With some experimenting lately by exporting video to the Shockwave/W3D format have managed some amazing results. A 2.2 meg file was exported and the resulting file size is 5kb with no loss of quality.
The first time I saw the pictures on the net with screenshots of Flash MX, I knew that Generator would be little by little assimilated into Flash.
Within a few weeks after Flash MX is out, there will be so many Flash MX Exchange files around, people will hardly remember there was a Generator once upon a time...
What would be more interesting to see is what could eventually happen to Lingo, and Director as a whole entity. Could it be that Actionscript and Lingo take roads that -in a distant end- are meant to meet and become one single highway?
Let me know if that is not possible. I see no reasons, and the idea would definitely be exciting...
I consider myself an extremely avid 'flash enthusiast' for lack of a better term, but this is the first I've heard about Generator...when was it pulled from the main products page, anybody know? I just bought a generator book....damn. Love, J_red
hey is the explosion white-on-white? (j/k, I just can't see it either) Generator seems pretty tight to me;making a template and then having it update on-the-fly is pretty cool...maybe I'm just not clear on how MX will allow a user to create database-driven .swfs...Am I clueless here or what? Help me out. Love, J_red http://www.sgtri.com
just my notes about "uselessness" of generator. here are just several examples which are best done (or the only option) using some generator software than flash client alone (even if it's mx):
- you need to generate 100 movies from one template, what do you do? you need generator.
- you need to produce static .swfs which will work without any server and still can be customized by various parameters. you need generator.
- you need to create for example some news ticker. news are updated say once a hour. the best way is to generate it once an hour, not to download them from the client everytime the movie is requested! you need generator. the same is applied everytime you need to have something dynamic but cannot do it in a client for various reasons: retrieving the content is costly, it's on different server, it needs some processing/filtering first, you don't want to reveal the source of information etc.
- you need to be able to load not only color non-progressive jpegs into your movie, but also: gifs, pngs, grayscale jpegs, progressive jpegs and may be other types of images. you need some generator.
- you don't want/don't have time/cannot do complex actionscripting in your movie. you need generator, there are generator objects ready to be used.
- you want to split text into individual shapes and manipulate them to do some text effects, but you need this text to be dynamic, for example entered by an user or queried from DB etc. you need generator.
- you are designer and NOT a programmer. you don't think in terms of actionscript or are not very comfortable in it. the generator is probably best for you.
Generator is too much money for too much BS that for the most part can in fact, with a little brainpower & creativity, be done using Flash 5 (even just about everything mentioned by skavish). As it has been said by many designers before, actionscript is a necessary evil of Flash. It's not that hard to figure out either. Take the time to learn some ActionScript and what you thought was a need for generator has decreased by at least 85%! A little ASP helps, but that's not even necessary to make some killer dynamic flash. -If you're not afraid of a little code of course.
The explosion should be viewable but it is only short so you may need to refresh the page in case you missed it("control R" for Windows). Try downloading the latest version of shockwave from the link I have there.
Originally posted by grayczyk Generator is too much money for too much BS that for the most part can in fact,
there are several free or partially free generators
with a little brainpower & creativity, be done using Flash 5 (even just about everything mentioned by skavish).
almost everything I mentioned cannot be done without some generator or better to be done using it.
As it has been said by many designers before, actionscript is a necessary evil of Flash. It's not that hard to figure out either. Take the time to learn some ActionScript and what you thought was a need for generator has decreased by at least 85%! A little ASP helps, but that's not even necessary to make some killer dynamic flash. -If you're not afraid of a little code of course.
yes actionscript (if you know it) can substitute some generator functionality but not everything. another thing is that for example to create some preloader and to create some charts in actionscript require very different level of proficiency. a designer which knows some actionscript and can do a preloader may not be able to create complex and customizable chart even after learning actionscript very well .