A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: saving movies

I thought I saw a thread dealing with this but cant find it now. I found a simple background flash movie on the web.
    I want to run this file in the background while my movie is on other layers. I plan on giving credit on the site to the originator of the background movie. After I finish the whole thing I save it as both a .fla and a .swf files.

from then on Im screwed......I try and open the files with a browser but it wont, I try and open the files with flas.exe but it tell me it cant. Whats up with that?

newbie but learning,
    eignmode

AKA [ Paul Bainbridge] webdreamer's Avatar
    What is the file exstension of the file your trying to open?
    is it .fla or .swf?

.fla if the flash autherware source file
    .swf is the exported flash movie(once expoerted it can't be opened in flash like the .fla

open files

Originally posted by webdreamer
    What is the file exstension of the file your trying to open?
    is it .fla or .swf?

.fla if the flash autherware source file
    .swf is the exported flash movie(once expoerted it can't be opened in flash like the .fla
    I saved it as both a .swf and a .fla

i have tried to open both of them with both a browser and flash 5. Cnat do it.

thnx

The .fla file should open with flash and the swf should be viewable from the browser.

Originally posted by webdreamer
    The .fla file should open with flash and the swf should be viewable from the browser.
    they wont open and im wondering if it might have something to do with adding that guys backgorund movie to mine. I emported it on a lower layer and am thinking it might be some protection he used on his movie

thanks for you help
    eignmode

If the movie you imported was protected you wouldnt have been able to import it.

eignmode, have you double-checked to make sure you published the correct HTML code in the broswer document?

saved movies

Originally posted by opengeo
    eignmode, have you double-checked to make sure you published the correct HTML code in the broswer document?

I have one blank htm page i use to test movies where i change the name of the .swf file.

I have noticed that sometimes when i save the movies, it automatically creates as "scene".swf file which will load in the browser

I got it

Originally posted by eignmode
    I thought I saw a thread dealing with this but cant find it now. I found a simple background flash movie on the web.
    I want to run this file in the background while my movie is on other layers. I plan on giving credit on the site to the originator of the background movie. After I finish the whole thing I save it as both a .fla and a .swf files.

from then on Im screwed......I try and open the files with a browser but it wont, I try and open the files with flas.exe but it tell me it cant. Whats up with that?

newbie but learning,
    eignmode

I figured it out..........thaanks

eignmode, what was the problem with what you were doing. Just so I can learn along with you. Glad it is fixed now.

problem

Originally posted by opengeo
    eignmode, what was the problem with what you were doing. Just so I can learn along with you. Glad it is fixed now.
    Im having trouble opening up movies after saving them. I normally get a response by both the browser and flash 5.0 that "cant read some files" or something like that. I have
    noticed that sometimes an extra file is created. If the movie name is "running", then when I save it another file will be created named "running scene1.swf". This file is fine and will both load in a browser and opened by flash.

any ideas?

How are you saving your movies in Flash. Obviously, you save it as FLA first, but how do you export? I usually just hit Control>Test movie (not Test scene as this will create that additional file you were talking about). Let me know.