A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Scrolling

Hybrid View

Smile

Hey I just watched the new tutorials MM put up fo MX. Anyone know if the scrollbar components work on any movie clip or just on text fields?
    Thanks

I'm kind of a fan of creating my own scrollers, buttons, etc... Does anyone know if MX will still let you do that? I would assume it does, but I want to be sure before I get all excited about MX.

Sorry if you had email notification on felix_man. I figured that this was an appropriate place to add my question on the subject.

Originally posted by grayczyk
    I'm kind of a fan of creating my own scrollers, buttons, etc... Does anyone know if MX will still let you do that? I would assume it does, but I want to be sure before I get all excited about MX.
    yes, it does. you can create your own skin and use it then.

and if they are cool, please give them away too...

Thanks skavish.

As for the original question. I would think the canned scrollers work with text only since a scroller to control a movie clip requires a completely different setup of the code - and the dimensions of a clip can vary too much to have a canned clip that will control it. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me. From what I've read so far, actionscript is about the same, with some new features.

good point. Scrollers on text boxes are one thing, but scrollers on -let's say- an image, if the image doesn't fit vertically or horizontally (or both ways) into its assigned space is another thing.

We'll see, but I am pretty sure that we'll that and so much more floating around, up for grabs...

Arrow

Originally posted by grayczyk

Sorry if you had email notification on felix_man. I figured that this was an appropriate place to add my question on the subject.
    Supposedly, all mx does is add on to Flash 5, it SHOULD have all the features that Flash 5 had, plus the new ones.

Senior Front End Developper
    Does that mean I can skin the predefined scrollbar ? I really hate making scrollbar because they are too much time consuming, but I would like to have the ability to change at least the color of my scrollbar. Would it be possible ?

Originally posted by CharlesFK
    Does that mean I can skin the predefined scrollbar ? I really hate making scrollbar because they are too much time consuming, but I would like to have the ability to change at least the color of my scrollbar. Would it be possible ?
    I almost skipped that part of the docs when reading, but what I remember it's yes you can do that. also you can change some global settings which will affect all the components (scrollbars, comboboxes etc), so you kinda can apply your style to all the components at once.

there are multiple scroll bar type components. one that snaps to text fields, and some that you load content, such as images into, and scroll bars will appear as needed.

i think that components are my favortive new feature. it is amazing how easy and fast it is to put together some pretty advanced functionality.

hope that helps...

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

so.
    Does the drag and drop scrollbar "create" a looping movieclip or looping code that actions the scrollbar?
    and likewise does the movieClipObject drag and drop scroller create the code and/or looping movieclips?
    What I am asking is,
    does Flash MX create objects and code that I can go in and manually edit? or does it hide them somewhere as part of the authoring process?
    In which case I'd rather create them myself. Know what I mean?

Originally posted by sonwah
    ... does Flash MX create objects and code that I can go in and manually edit? or does it hide them somewhere as part of the authoring process?
    In which case I'd rather create them myself. Know what I mean?

You can edit it, from what I know they are very similar to the old smart clips, just way better.

Fredi

Scroll bars a must!

These scrollbar components can only be used on dynamic text fields. I understand alot of people like to make their own, but in my opinion this creates a use-ability problem. I feel the components are a great first step in creating a standard for usability across flash movies. It's a win-win situation. easier for a developer to implement, while also being easier for the user viewing the flash to operate.

Thank you macromedia!!!!!