A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What happened to pthe Flash community?

I am coming back to the Flash community after about a year of absence. What happened to Mr Joshua's brilliant sites, Praystation (now hardly updated), Dreamless ( what a great place that was) and the awe inspiring One-upron-a-forest? I got into Flash because of him and now he seems gone!
    I do nto see a lot of the original Flash 5 post release spirit and enthusiasm around anymore. And also wherte are the source files? Are we losing something?

FK Board Loser
    it all died with the DOT COMS.. I don't know.. actually on the contrary, I think Flash is now stronger then ever! it'll only get better as soon as the percentile of broadband users goes higher..

I ment the experimental work and the need to exchange ideas and code. that seems gone to me.

Ruler of the dark side

I know I am linking to a discussion on WH, but it seemed relevant in this case:

http://www.were-here.com/forums/show...hreadid=121625

blame aol - they convinced a few million people that getting online was the thing to do, then everyone thought they could create there own webdesign company to make a quick buck and it all fell like a house of cards

dotcom... boom!
    webdesign... boom!
    flash... boom!
    [the future... boom!]

i agree with the broadband comment, give it 5years and filesize will be last thing on the list to check due to faster internet connections and better compression rates and data transfer methods... but then again, i'm half expecting the net to be one huge popup advert with spam in the middle within 5years... thanks aol!!!

cs

FK Board Loser
    Originally posted by LoneDevil
    I ment the experimental work and the need to exchange ideas and code. that seems gone to me.
    well in the beginning they were the select few but hey no matter how good a person is there is always someone better and more skilled out there... there are a lot of different websites that are highly experimental nowdays

Thats one of the biggest hang ups right now is trying to get peopole to switch off modem to a broadband use. The problem is that most people still find it too expensive. I would like to see everyone use broadband, but is still a while off from becoming the standard.

i think it's partly to do with dotcom crash. People like josh davis were given an opportunity to think about what it was they were doing. Some spent more time chasing commercial work to secure their future others, like jd, dropped out altogether and set about becoming a full time artist.

i've seen jd talk twice recently and it seems that guys like him are doing some amazing stuff but focussing their efforts on bringing the experimentation into the 'real world' through exhibitions etc. Last month josh davis said he had 5 gallery exhibits running (including one at the design museum in london) and more planned.

i imagine that there is a regrouping and the true artists out there will be moving away from the web and towards more direct user interaction in their creations. The idea of setting the stage for a piece and then letting the computer create through the interaction of users seems to be the way these guys are moving forward.

the internet will still be a birthing ground for imaginative creators but i think any interactive artist wants a more direct connection with those they interact with.

i think the kind of stuff we'll see growing on the web will be film related, new quicktime/flashcapabilities, more people exploring flash/director stuff.

[Edited by aversion on 03-06-2002 at 10:13 PM]

By comparing your subject title and what you say in your post, you're somehow implying that whatever Joshua Davis is doing (or isn't doing) speaks for the entire community of designers that use the Internet.

I mean, you list only three sites, they're all related to Davis, and you seem to take his closing Dreamless, and combining his three other sites into one as representing what is going on within design communities on the Internet.
    Sorry, but isn't that a bit narrow-minded?

Perhaps since you've been out of the loop for the past year, you're a bit unknowing of just how alive the design community still is, likely more so than the last time you were a participant. It doesn't ebb and flow based on what Joshua Davis does, and I'd hope that you'd broaden your horizons to see all the great things that are going on out there.

Oh, and if you're upset about not finding source files, you might check this site out. I saw it the other day for the first time, it's quite impressive, and similiar in an experimental sense to many of the things Davis has done.
    http://www.levitated.net/daily/index.html

mg33

Also, in response to what aversion said, about Josh Davis and many others now gaining exposure in galleries and such. Was this going on a year ago? In a community sense, I see this as something that very much serves to inspire others to broaden their horizons, go beyond the screen in front of them and see where they can take their ideas. I think it's a great thing that so much of what's been created through designers having a community to learn through and be inspired through is now getting exposure outside of the screen in front of you.

mg33

[whine]

but I'm bored now.

question authority
    I think there is heaps of fantastic experimental work happening everywhere. Check the design portals - http://www.newstoday.com , http://www.designiskinky.com , http://www.surfstation.lu/ and there are hundreds of others... not to mention http://www.were-here.com and http://www.ultrashock.com
    If you can't find anything inspiring going on, you just aren't looking..

I do nto see a lot of the original Flash 5 post release spirit and enthusiasm around anymore.
    hey <whistles> the spirit and enthusiasm is over here next to the flash mx - and welcome back from your coma

Originally posted by mg33
    By comparing your subject title and what you say in your post, you're somehow implying that whatever Joshua Davis is doing (or isn't doing) speaks for the entire community of designers that use the Internet.

I mean, you list only three sites, they're all related to Davis, and you seem to take his closing Dreamless, and combining his three other sites into one as representing what is going on within design communities on the Internet.

Perhaps since you've been out of the loop for the past year, you're a bit unknowing of just how alive the design community still is, likely more so than the last time you were a participant. It doesn't ebb and flow based on what Joshua Davis does, and I'd hope that you'd broaden your horizons to see all the great things that are going on out there.

Oh, and if you're upset about not finding source files, you might check this site out. I saw it the other day for the first time, it's quite impressive, and similiar in an experimental sense to many of the things Davis has done.

mg33
    Leviated is a cool site and a great mind behin it, very "Medesque" in its philosophy and approach....if u understand what I mean...

I am not referring just to jd's sites, they are only an example. What I think is that a lot of people seeme to have been victims of their own fame and in my opinion burnt off too cquickly. Does it show the real power of the internet? Quick fame, quick death?

one man does not a community make.

Originally posted by mg33

mg33
    Leviated is a cool site and a great mind behin it, very "Medesque" in its philosophy and approach....if u understand what I mean...

I am not referring just to jd's sites, they are only an example. What I think is that a lot of people seeme to have been victims of their own fame and in my opinion burnt off too cquickly. Does it show the real power of the internet? Quick fame, quick death?

And as for the source files, well I am not really bothered as I do not work in this field anymore. They were just an example of the way people used to conceive the whole thing, their value not being in "Come and savage my work" but more along the line of "Let's share because the Internet is above all communication", and if people do nto get this ( from the big company to the slow connection users) well, it is going to be a world boom! I will have a look at the source files u mention but it is an entirely different feeling I have to admit.

Build Engine Builder

com'n in to bat 4 the lonewolf :)

Originally posted by swampy
    one man does not a community make.
    Josh is still three or four conceptual leaps ahead of any of us (he didn't JUST pick a nice .KOM and sit on it!?) but like his foray into selling "Praystation Harddrive on CD", it was another shining example of being 1ST and BEST again!!

~ This thread clarifies the point that THE "community" is made up of 2 essential groups;

1/ those doing flash for career and salary and advancement and prestige. (business)

2/ those doing flash for creativity and frontierism and expression and flair. (arts)

..the ONLY thing they have in common?? ..that they both require FOOD at regular intervals!! Peace.

flash MX == true

working on 2 books == true

5th museum show == true

travelling and giving lectures and workshops == true

--

updating my site is not always a clear benchmark.

Originally posted by nordberg
    I do nto see a lot of the original Flash 5 post release spirit and enthusiasm around anymore.
    hey <whistles> the spirit and enthusiasm is over here next to the flash mx
    yep i agree, i think there we be a massive explosion when people get their hands on flashmx. im certainly excited