A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash MX for $322

question authority
    Anyone who is bugging about the $500 price tag on MX might want to check this:

buy flash 5 here for $322
    get a free upgrade to MX from macromedia here
    now thats pretty cheap!

Isn't it eligible for a free upgrade?

question authority
    sorry, i don't quite get it...

Senior Front End Developper
    Maybe I don't know how to read, they link seems to be for Flash 5

he's suggesting u buy the Flash 5 and then go to macromedia and getting the FREE upgrade.. I suppose it depends if that Flash 5 is sold by a authorized reseller. then of course u get Flash MX for $322

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    read quotes below

if you buy flash 5 (full) you get mx free. that dosen't really make sense to me. if i buy a lower cheaper version i get the bigger better one free? (save $200)

but that's what it says...

anyways i'm getting the upgrade version

Flash MX Macromedia Customers who purchased Flash 5 on or between the dates of February 4, 2002, and April 19, 2002 are eligible for a free upgrade to Flash MX.

Requests for free upgrades to Flash MX must be received by June 19, 2002.

eLearning Studio Macromedia Customers who purchased eLearning Studio on or between the dates of February 4, 2002, and July 14, 2002 (dates subject to change) are eligible for a free upgrade to Flash MX.

Requests for free upgrades to Flash MX must be received by September 14, 2002.

Web Design Studio Macromedia Customers who purchased Web Design Studio on or between the dates of February 4, 2002, and July 14, 2002 (dates subject to change) are eligible for a free upgrade to Flash MX.

Requests for free upgrades to Flash MX must be received by September 14, 2002.
    Macromedia offers free upgrades to customers who purchase software from an authorized reseller during the period extending from one month prior to the announcement date of the new version to one month after the first ship date of the new version. Free upgrades are available for a limited time only. Requests must be received within three months of the date the new version first ships.

This upgrade policy applies to full copies of Macromedia Software only.

Versions that are not made by Macromedia and versions that were bundled with non-Macromedia products are not eligible for free upgrades from Macromedia. This policy may vary slightly by product.

I buying the upgrade from 5 to MX for 199 or less depending on Ebay..lol

What exactly is an authorized Macromedia reseller? Does this include anybody selling Macromedia products legally?

I am understanding that if I buy Flash 5 at full retail price before April 19 (~$330), I will be able to upgrade to Flash MX for free. Affirm or Reject my last statement and please help me understand the first two questions.

Cheers!

P.S. If I am correct in my understanding their upgrade policy, would it still be better to just buy Flash MX instead and forget about upgrading? If you get a free upgrade, does that include the Flash MX user guide?

Buy old copy - Upgrade

For the budget conscious:

1. Buy an old copy of Flash 5 in eBay

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...omedia+flash+5

You can get a legal copy for about $100

2. Buy the upgrade from Macromedia

It beats the full retail price.

-- Jossi

McPollo-you be correct. You'd get it for free.

Re: Buy old copy - Upgrade

Originally posted by jossifresco
    For the budget conscious:

1. Buy an old copy of Flash 5 in eBay

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...omedia+flash+5

You can get a legal copy for about $100

2. Buy the upgrade from Macromedia

It beats the full retail price.

-- Jossi

This is very true. It's how I got to Flash 5 cheaply. Bought 4 on Ebay (Make sure it's commercial version) then upgraded to 5. Total Cost? =$250. Now I can goto MX for 200 more.

heck, buy flash 3 on ebay for about 50 bucks and upgrade for 199. you can upgrade from ver 2-5, also, you can upgrade from the educational to commercial for the same 199.
    they are being quite generous.

Thats great. Thanks for the advice. I would like to see what Flash 3 is all about!