A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to kiss Flash Goodbeye!

i think there are reasons for adobe and microsoft to be the biggest software companies around -

they INTEGRATE their products, actually macromedia used to be a little messy with their different products, freehand
    and flash are both doing vectors did you know?

i think a to streamline and integrate programs in a productline is not a mistake, if you dont get along you just use a specific tool for JUST THAT.
    what i wonder is - when can i USE it - many people
    still have slow computers and as a pro you cant just ignore
    them, thats a bad thing about the great featureitis coming up...

give me a swiss armyknife and i´ll roast a sausage.

To the person that said MM were getting into a corner with the progression of Flash, making the animation improvments, well Flash has now got a bigger scope, somone making comics, and somone makeing an online shopping cart can both use flash. This makes more money, and then better products.

They can keep adding further support, untill they engulf the whole net, then they can slow down a bit

Vector graphics program + animation program + web page designer + programming interface (Actionscript) = Flash MX

k...I've been waiting a long time to respond to this thing about flash dying. Hate to break it to you guys, but flash is getting more popular. over the last year flash player propogation stats have gone from 96% to 98%. so, seeing as flash ships with windows, ie and ns downloads it's going to get even more popular as people upgrade their browsers/os/etc . The reason why flash has become so popular is that it's great technology. It can actually do a lot of things that Shockwave content can't...lets forget the cutting edge of web art and animation and talk about consumers- the people who ultimately need to be impressed for any product to continue. With flash, we deliver animated interactive content that takes less time to download than html pages that provide even a fraction of the experience that flash does. It really comes down to being a transparent technology, people install their browsers/os/whatever, and flash is there-they can see what you made. Average users dont really know what flash is... they say 'whoa..cool site' or 'really easy to use website, so responsive and interactive!'...and never question how it got there. that's what matters here, that's what ultimately drives development and product release. As long as people are doing business on the web they're going to want to impress their customers, flash lets designers/developers do that. I'll tell you what though, average joe who wants to, let's say, buy a car online isn't gonna wait 20 minutes on his [barely]56K aol dialup to download the latest shockwave 3d art piece, and probably couldnt care less about what yugop is doing. Bottom line is that people love flash, they like shiny things that move on the screen in front of them.
    BUT FMX is a different issue alltogether. It's a better version of flash 5, it's the next step. now, there are some questions about the FMX UI they will be answered once you have the software, but it really is better. But the UI, illustration and animation features pale in comparison to the new backend support, new objects, etc. hmmm...imagine being able to render a gradient at runtime that came directly from data in your SQL DB that you took directly from a java object that you can now manipulate with flash! hee hee. nuff said.

Okay, for those of you who keep saying that flash is dieing, you're sadly mistaken, because really the only language that can do more things as a web-app is java.

A little difference with Java though: Java has plenty enemies, Flash has plenty friends... Not trying to politically incorrect here, but still...

all of you guys... aren't we forgetting an itti bitti crucial detail...... i never said flash was dying......only expressing my feeling towards what will happen when mx comes out! and buy the way i made a mistake on that sunject thingy... i meant to time to kiss FLASH 5 good bye. Have a nice day

flash 5 will probably be used less by developers, but i think exporting as flash 5 or 4 if thats all thats needed is pretty important until the saturation gets better. if you do a commercial site, and you need to impress people, most likely you wont do it by having them install a new player.

i was showing one of my friends on msn a link to some AS stuff i did, they asked if they should download this "Flash thing", most end users dont understand the concept of players or why content wont work after a while if newer players arent received.

and as for flash slowly dying by becoming a better product and integrating .. wont that just make it better overall for using different products together ? plus the fact theres hundreds of other swf production programs out there, and probably more since the swf file type will probably be updated, i really doubt flash 7 (mx2?) won't be released. i think until bandwidth and processor speeds are much higher, a non-vector based media program wont work as well (compare director > flash, flash is more common because its lightweight)

well.. thats enough rambling from me.

somebody said MX has minor improvements over 5?

If every forum post from a flasher newbie who wanted to make a movie that could load JPG's weighed 1 pound, we'd have tons of trash to clean up.

And that's just one of the new features.

How about the drawing API functions?

The possibilities opened by that alone are boggling my mind.

Flash dying? What underwater cave do you live in?!

Ridiculous exceptions aside, flash will be here at least as long as it remains the only vector based solution for the web. There are simply too many things that it does that can't be accomplished by other formats. I'm not sure what would inspire anyone to predict it's going to die. Maybe a bummed out Java expert?

[Devil in DarkGreen]

yea,but we are try it now,cause lots of peaple are using f5,so we have to wait all to change their player.

DS

caithness massiv
    flash will only get better

A large percentage of the browsers being used out there support upgrade re-direction for the flash plug-in. If anything, it's not the flash designers rushing around trying to upgrade everyone. It's the browser/platform interest to rush that.

Surely this is why MM is trying to push the 'solid interface' capabilities of Flash? They are trying to move it away from the whizzing lines and flashing banners that it has become synonymous with. The interfaes that plague the web where it takes you 15 minutes to figure out what you are doing and by which time you've got a severe migrane/ epilepsy. MM seem to be pushing the more functional side of things judging by quite a few of the additions/improvements in MX

Originally posted by aevium
    |because flash was used SO much that people became deathly tired of it.
    Y, and people have watched so much tv, they're gonna stop, cause they got bored..!!

Think before you speak out.

And u seem to think flash is at the end of it's development??
    I think u just lack vision. and BTW flash was never a graph app, its an interactive MULTImedia tool, designed to bring STREAMING content in the web.

The only thing that might kill flash is the bugs. I read another post saying that 6 player was slower than 5... so flash will only die if it suffers from netscape 6 syndrome!

Ruthless Killer Robot deathbot5000's Avatar

great...

Right as I'm getting proficient with 5...

I have a feeling that it will be a while before MX is widely adopted, assuming the adoption patterns follow those of 3-4 and 4-5. It was months after the relase of 5 before I felt comfortable releasing stuff commercially with it.

if you think it is dying, you are ignoring history.

People thought apple was dead. People thought IBM would be dead. People thought "Who the hell would want DOS when they can have the Mac OS"

People thought the futuresplash player was just a flash in the pan --

Flash is just evolving -- the greatest thing about it is the fact that it introduces application development to thousands of newbie kids that want a killer flash page for their CounterStrike Clan.

Flash is the best programming teacher I have ever seen. it takes concepts that are farily arcane and gives them real world accesibility. Try explaining how to create an applet that uses the AWT and has ton's of features and supports xml-- Flash can do all of that and it is easier to break down.

My first level programming students start with Flash and Javascript. I think it's the best way for them to learn -- and the additions in Flash MX just drive that point home.

Flash will grow more -- I think eventually it will ( hopefully ) merge with director (using both lingo and actionscript derivatives as it's language). Or it could go in a completely different direction.

You are seeing the beginning of a revolution. When all these kids eventaully learn this program, it will be even more pervasive than it is today.

or I could be wroing and we could all be unemployed next month.

Scott Fanetti

Sometimes people like to blather on a hunch, rather than formulating concrete opinions and supporting those opinions with facts. Anyways...

Just so you all know, 30 million people use AOL. AOL ships with Flash 4 support.

In other words, Flash isn't going anywhere... The compatibility is there for so many millions of people (beyond the AOL users, since Flash ships with other browsers too).

BUT...

Flash MX or 6? I'm sticking with Flash 4. I know it'll work on at least 30 million computers. Can't be so sure of any higher version....

I was in a meeting last week with a whole crew of people, most with no web experience. One of the topics we covered was whether to do a Flash or HTML site.

The creative director said he thought Flash was a lot more classy and slick than HTML. The AE asked if it was possible to use a complex database with it. The database programmer said he could easily incorporate his stuff with Flash.

Then someone asked if I thought Flash would be as stable as HTML for the long term or will it be obsolete in a couple years and replaced by some new technology. I told them that if I knew where the technology would be in 5 years I sure as hell wouldn't have been sitting in that meeting!