A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Linux / Flash Players

I apologize if this sounds naive, but is there a chance that there will be a stand alone Flash Player for Linux in the near future? I build a lot of applications for Linux that require encrytion that netscape just doesn't have.

Any help anyone could give would be appreciated. thanks.

Doesn't sound naive, Fuad1138, but I haven't read anything about Linux support in this matter.
    Surely there is guys out there who will pop in with way more precise answers than the one I can offer you...

Originally posted by Abelius
    Doesn't sound naive, Fuad1138, but I haven't read anything about Linux support in this matter.
    Surely there is guys out there who will pop in with way more precise answers than the one I can offer you...
    i can't give you a definate yes or no on this question (at least not yet) but in the past we have only create a flash web browser plugin for linux and solaris, and not a standalone.

is there something that you want to do with a standalone, that you can't through a browser?

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

>is there something that you want to do with a >standalone, that you can't through a browser?

Thank you for the timely response, it is much appreciated.

I work for a firm that builds voting software, and i want to be able to build a GUI using Flash MX that is full screen and is not viewed with in the frame of a web browser. The file needs to be able to send and recieve information via XML or Java, and (most important for our security issues) do this on a server running Linux. I am thinking if there was a way to create a projector for this on Linux i would be in heaven, but if there is another way of doing this in Linux i would be greatly appreciative.

I hope i am being clear here. Thanks again.

>is there something that you want to do with a standalone, >that you can't through a browser?

Well, personally, I use Flash and Director/Authorware to create educational software. It sounds like with MX we'll be able to ditch Director/Authorware (we only ever used them for the simplest of things in the first place)- so, if you would offer the ability to make Linux projectors, we could offer Linux versions of our products. Not that there's a large audience yet, but people can't switch to Linux until there are applications availible.

Originally posted by MikeChambers
    Originally posted by Abelius
    i can't give you a definate yes or no on this question (at least not yet) but in the past we have only create a flash web browser plugin for linux and solaris, and not a standalone.

is there something that you want to do with a standalone, that you can't through a browser?

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com
    Hey Mike, i also have the same problem, I had recently developed a GUI for SetTop Box in flash, we had to unnessarily use the browser as there is no standalone player for linux, as we had very limited resources regarding CPU, HDD and RAM.

Or is it that the standalone player would use more CPU than the browser?

thnx

Hey Mike,

One good thing about making a Linux standalone player, is that it will allow for one less layer to worry about, particularly for embedded appliances.

Like if I wanted to develop some type of set-top unit, I would use linux for licensing reasons. I would hate to have to worry about a license from Netscape. Of course could add with the sdk development.

But would be much easier to kick off the player.