dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Prove that it's real Poligonal 3D

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17
    Some of my friends don't belive it's real Poligonal 3D...

    So chek this out:

    http://www.studiotibor.com/poligon3D_v2.swf

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2
    it's imaginary 3d.
    not really 3d, but the mouse movement tells the target surfaces of the cube how to skew.

    just like this:

    http://www.robertpenner.com/

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    368
    i don't know what you mean by "real" 3d. some argue that if it's on a flat monitor it's not "real" 3d. but anyway, it's relatively simple to take a 3d point (x,y,z) and using z for depth, calculate perspective. you do that for 8 points and you have a 3d cube. in flash 5, filling in the polygons was a royal pain in the ... neck. but the new mx drawing api makes it too simple.

    here is as "real" 3d as you are going to find on a flat monitor:

    http://www.bit-101.com/content/020315.swf
    http://www.bit-101.com/flafiles/020315.fla

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17
    Originally posted by bit-101
    i don't know what you mean by "real" 3d. some argue that if it's on a flat monitor it's not "real" 3d. but anyway, it's relatively simple to take a 3d point (x,y,z) and using z for depth, calculate perspective. you do that for 8 points and you have a 3d cube. in flash 5, filling in the polygons was a royal pain in the ... neck. but the new mx drawing api makes it too simple.

    here is as "real" 3d as you are going to find on a flat monitor:

    http://www.bit-101.com/content/020315.swf
    http://www.bit-101.com/flafiles/020315.fla

    Definitely true!


    But it wasn’t possible till FlashMX to render poligons (draw lines with action script). I only show that this is possible now and that we can build Flat Shading 3D engines for interfaces, games,.... (no line and polygon fakes).

    Your flash is very optimized, but the box is “hardcoded”. So you will need to script some more to extend the engine to the point where it will be able to import definitions for custom objects and then show them. A little harder thing to do (not much).

    Otherwise nice!




    [Edited by tibor@siol.net on 03-19-2002 at 12:41 PM]

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17
    Originally posted by kiwidesign
    it's imaginary 3d.
    not really 3d, but the mouse movement tells the target surfaces of the cube how to skew.

    just like this:

    http://www.robertpenner.com/

    The faces of the cube are drawn in real-time (like in the games). They are not faked like in the Flash 5, 4,...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    368
    it's not impossible to do polygon filling in flash 5. you can skew a right triangle to fit between any three points. not easy, and not fast. but it does the job. many have done it. there's some very good examples on http://www.flash-git.net
    that's not "faked" whatever that means. he's calculating 3d points then skewing triangles to fill them.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17
    Originally posted by bit-101
    it's not impossible to do polygon filling in flash 5. you can skew a right triangle to fit between any three points. not easy, and not fast. but it does the job. many have done it. there's some very good examples on http://www.flash-git.net
    that's not "faked" whatever that means. he's calculating 3d points then skewing triangles to fill them.

    I agree!

    But now it is possible to do n-sided polygons, fast and easy. Ok, Ok, word “faked” wasn’t in place.


    Bye the way I sow your page. Nice things you have there.

  8. #8
    Gross Pecululatarian Ed Mack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,954
    In F5 the most dynamic method of drawing I could think of was two triangles back to back to make one triangle with a movable middle point. Lines were simple in F5

    N-side polygons can easily be made up with triangles anyway.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    368
    Originally posted by Ed_Mack
    In F5 the most dynamic method of drawing I could think of was two triangles back to back to make one triangle with a movable middle point. Lines were simple in F5

    N-side polygons can easily be made up with triangles anyway.
    there is another way of skewing a single right triangle to fit any three points. lines were relatively simple in f5, but FAR simpler (and faster by actual test) in mx.
    yes, you can make polygons with triangles, but quite slow in f5, and not really what i'd call "easy". a fair bit of math involved. now it's just beginFill, endFill

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17
    Originally posted by bit-101
    i don't know what you mean by "real" 3d. some argue that if it's on a flat monitor it's not "real" 3d. but anyway, it's relatively simple to take a 3d point (x,y,z) and using z for depth, calculate perspective. you do that for 8 points and you have a 3d cube. in flash 5, filling in the polygons was a royal pain in the ... neck. but the new mx drawing api makes it too simple.

    here is as "real" 3d as you are going to find on a flat monitor:

    http://www.bit-101.com/content/020315.swf
    http://www.bit-101.com/flafiles/020315.fla

    ccc... I found out that you don't have Z buffer! (better ever then never ;-))
    That means it looks fine as long as you have transparency on polygons.

    If you change your line:
    _root.beginFill(col,33);
    into:
    _root.beginFill(col,100);

    It's obvious that doesn't work correctly



  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    368
    *hangs head in shame*

    yes, i admit, i am z-bufferless....

    (still looks pretty cool!)

  12. #12
    Information Architect Subway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    4,779
    Just imagine the hole real world would be transparent and without Z-buffering. Amazing!

    Fredi

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    368
    that is how the world looks to me...ever since i got bitten by that radioactive spider...

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7
    Looks cool, but.....

    I really don't think this is usefull for making games.
    Only rendering a screen with some object is already too heavy for flash (or you have to use a mega cpu).

    Flash just isn't made for 3d stuff.
    You'd better user Director for that.

    Cheers
    PIE

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

HTML5 Development Center