A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash 6 Player - SLOWER ANIMATION??

Has anyone either with the beta or final version of the Flash 6 player noticed that the the Flash 6 player for Internet Explorer plays animation slower than it does with the Flash 5 player for Internet Explorer?

I know that people are saying the player is FASTER on a MAC but I am talking about the other 95 percent of the world who uses PCs.

My system is WinXP Pro with IE 6 and I am noticing that in any browser which uses the Flash 6 active X control, animations are significantly slower than they were with Flash 5. I am talking about 5-6 fps slower -- this is quite noticeable -- particularly on animations that are supposed to be speedy @ like 30fps.

I notice this with my own site as well as others... It's just not as quick as with the Flash 5 player.

Anyone know if this was an issue that arose during the beta test? Or why this is happening?
    [Edited by jgordon on 03-11-2002 at 08:33 AM]

The new Mac player is defenitly faster!

Didn't noticed any differences with the PC player, but I relly don't compared it one to one.

Fredi

It's definitely slower. It's not as noticable in the stand alone player, but once I go into IE 6 or Opera, which both use the ActiveX control (as opposed to the plugin in Netscape) I see it a lot.

What I tried was viewing my site (authored in Flash 5) with the new, Flash 6 player (through IE6 and Opera 6) and it runs slower (even though it's at 30 fps)

I went to 2advanced.com to check out some of that stuff with the new Flash 6 player and that site, as well as the stuff in the portfolio, are running slower than they did with the Flash 5 player.

Has anyone else seen this???
    [Edited by jgordon on 03-11-2002 at 08:34 AM]

Might want to test your movies using the Moock FPS detection script to see if there is in fact a slower framerate in your movies under the new player.

AH ha!

Ok --

I tried the Moock FPS and it proved what I saw.

My Flash 5 movie is set to run at 30 fps.

When I play it in the Flash 6 STANDALONE Player, the FPS meter reads an average of 30.03 fps.

When I play it in the Flash 5 STANDALONE Player, the FPS meter reads an average of 30.1 fps -- a slight (but most likely insignificant) speed difference.

NOW -- when I view the swf in Internet Explorer or Opera (which I assume BOTH use the ActiveX control), the fps NEVER goes above 25 or 26 fps -- which makes the movie run noticeably slower.

Curiously, in Netscape Navigator 6, the movie runs FINE, at the same 30.03 fps that I saw in the standalone player.

I hadn't tested my movie in Netscape before, and it seems that the plugin version runs at the same speed as the stand alone player.

Will someone else try this and let me know if you see the same thing??
    [Edited by jgordon on 03-11-2002 at 08:44 AM]

i hope in final version of player all will be OK!

This is the final version of it.

Can someone else who has the final please try this?

hmm ok but on macromedia.com are published only BETA version!

i have tested flash6 player on 2advanced.com and there are no problems with speed!

What did you test it on?

I have used both IE 6 and Opera and have noticed that with the Flash 6 ActiveX control, animation appears slower than it did with the Flash 5 ActiveX control. Try it with those. And make sure you switch back and forth between the old and new Flash players otherwise it might be harder to notice the issue.

You have to be very attentive to the animation to see it.

If you are at 2advanced, go to the portfolio area and check out th ClubOne piece. That's a pretty fast moving intro. Watch the speed CLOSELY.

Then, get rid of the Flash 6 player, install the Flash 5 one, and watch it again. You'll see it's significantly faster.

i know all 2AD works. and ClubOne Too!
    Browser IE5.0
    If you are at 2advanced, go to the portfolio area and check out th ClubOne piece. That's a pretty fast moving intro. Watch the speed CLOSELY.

Then, get rid of the Flash 6 player, install the Flash 5 one, and watch it again. You'll see it's significantly faster.

there are no difference with flash 6 and flash 5 activeX !
    ( Sorry i dont now english good and i have mistakes! )

relax, I wont sting!
    Well it sounds like the PC player is slower... dang

The mac player is infinitly faster, 50-100% faster in OS9. OSX is about 80-90% of what OS9's flash 6 player speed is, so not as fast, but good!!

Finally my flash stuff zooms along

Has Returned

maybe...

Maybe is a conspiracy agianst Microsoft anyone running windows will see things not as good, but anyone viewing it using a mac (maromedia's friend) will see it in all its glory!

Well that would really suck. And what sucks more is that the speed isn't consistent from stand alone player to IE to Netscape. If they all showed flash animation a bit slower, than I would just adjust the fps of my own movies. But now, this is becoming like an HTML page issue -- where I may have to have different speed versions of the SWFs for different browsers.

I am really anxious to know what others experience with the Flash 6 ActiveX control in IE once Flash MX is officially out. This is making me antsy.

In case anyone wants to know what kind of system I have -- here are the basics of it:

AMD Athlon 1.3 Ghz CPU
    512 MB RAM
    Winfast GeForce 2 Pro w/ 64MB RAM (w/ 23.11 drivers)
    Windows XP Pro (IE 6)

[Edited by jgordon on 03-11-2002 at 08:48 AM]

Senior Front End Developper
    Where's did you get the Flash player for Explorer and Opera ? It's not available from the Macromedia site.

Originally posted by CharlesFK
    Where's did you get the Flash player for Explorer and Opera ? It's not available from the Macromedia site.
    it's aviable
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...layer_beta.htm

Macromedia Flash Player 6 public beta.

You're right, it is slower.
    running Win2000 on an 800MHz, IE 6.
    Noticably different in fact, I hope Macromedia are aware of this performance issue. Maybe just because its a beta player????

sadly this is a 'public' beta, and in my experience these don't change too radically from the final version. I cant imagine what has been added that slows down playback by 5fps. we can only hope for a point revision to clear up these issues.

Originally posted by weaponkiller
    You're right, it is slower.
    running Win2000 on an 800MHz, IE 6.
    Noticably different in fact, I hope Macromedia are aware of this performance issue. Maybe just because its a beta player????
    yes i think this problem will be removed on final version!

Smile

IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME!!!

I've been putting up with the unnecessary slowness of flash on my mac for so long that I bought a windowz machine a few months ago just to develop flash in "real time". Now I wish I had saved my money and got one of those new iMacs .

In any case I'm sure there'll be a fix out soon. No doubt introducing more compatibility issues. So sit tight windowz people and be happy that your OS runs at all .