A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Exporting to Video... movieclips?

Exporting to Video... movieclips?

Hello. I've been trying to export a Flash movie to video. Any objects on the main timeline animate as they should, but anything that is a movieclip is stuck on the first frame.

Is there any way to get full animation with Export to Movie?

If not... what's the best way to do it? I need to get it onto DVD somehow.

I'm using a Mac if that matters.
    Last edited by Heronymo; 11-14-2005 at 02:42 PM.

I have searched for help about this, but I still haven't found anything that's good enough, or that's not confusing in some way.

I need to somehow get this flash movie (with animated movieclips) exported into some sort of video format... probably for DVD.

I tried a screen capture program, but it's not the best thing.

Is there some way to get everything exported 100%? That means nested movieclips that animate instead of static movieclips.

Hi,
    Please add me to your Aim
    Demonchild08779

I may have a sollution, but I need more info.....
    I work with many different programs and try to accomplish what I believe is the same idea.

Demonchild

Does anyone have any experience exporting Flash to video? I mean with movieclips that play, and are not just stuck on their first frame. That's the problem I need to solve. They don't need to be clickable, they just have to be moving. Something I can throw into FinalCut Pro or whatever.

Does Flash 8 export better?

Even if I have to Macgyver something together, any help would be very much appreciated.

I'm using a Mac if that matters.

Thanks.

Exporting video

Well, when I first read your post I thought "That should be a piece of cake". Then, just for grins, I tried to do the same thing just as a test -- I'm on the PC, so I tried to export a Flash file as an AVI.

I ran into the same problem you did.

What you might try to do is export as frames (need to be NTSC compatible if you are going to video here in the states -- 640pixels x 480 pixels; frame rate will need to be 30 fps -- not the default 12 fps). Then, you could import your frames into Final Cut and render a video compatible movie clip.

Hope that helps. I don't understand why Flash only exports the first frame...that is weird!!!

I can't wait to see if someone has a better solution to this. I'll probably find myself needing to do this soon.

One thing I *have* done is at work we have a software called Snaggit which you can use to capture videos and still images on screen. You could get that, run the Flash movie and capture it for use in video. You have control over frame size and frame rate in there as well. Not sure if this is available for the Mac...we are PC based at work.

Best of luck!

Pixelpusher1

The export-as-frames didn't work. It did the same thing, only with many image frames instead of one movie file.

I'm guessing there's no direct way to do this from inside Flash? Maybe I can try another screen capture program.
    Last edited by Heronymo; 01-09-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Try this method...

I've worked with DVD slideshows in the past and had wanted to do the same thing with movie clips. However, I came up with the same problem you have. i resolved this by not trying to do everything in flash, but actually by using my DVD editor.

Here was "somewhat" a resolution for the problem I had.

1) Try to think of the movieclips as a spacer for your flash movie.
    2) For every flash section, that is seperated by your movieclip, export those flash clips as individual movie clips.

Example: ...flash movie, (movie clip), flash movie, (movie clip), flash movie... "You should have a total of 3 flash movies exported as movie files and (2 movie clips). 3 + 2= 5 movie clips.

3) Next I would import the "5" movie clips into the DVD editor. After that, I just merge the clips together adding alpha effects inbetween each movie clip for a smoother transition.

In the end, I have a fully functional DVD slideshow with movie clips.

Hope this works for ya.

Thanks for the reply!

That sounds like a good idea. I'll try it out!