A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: using the timeline efficiently?

hey there - i am surely not a pro, but a ambitioned flash programmer with a stupid question: is there a way to really master the timeline? its not really nice to have a rightclick for almost everything on the timeline - does anybody know a tutorial about that? any hint in using the timeline effeciently is welcome!

Actkid

who said you have to right click for everything on the timeline you can use the shortcut...first see the manuals..there a list of shortcuts.or may be find ur own.

And, on top of that freestylez:

You can design your own shortcuts, by going to Edit >> Keyboard Preferences...

hmm - might be i overlooked something actually
    i´d like to have more drag´n drop possibilities..

you know what i mean?

and another thing -

the timeline and drawing features could be really
    separated in the keyboard preferences...

just my opinion.

True, the last point is true.

But let me see if I understood it right: you would like the timeline (frames, blank keyframes, keyframes, and so on) to be draggable? If so, isn't it already draggable? hanks for replying...

well - thats why i´m asking - i use flash a little while now but the timeline (especially in flash mx) doesnt work so intuitivly for me - maybe i just do it wrong since a while but thats why i´m asking

(its not that i dont know how to use a shortcut but sometimes the timeline just feels "unprecious")

Originally posted by freestylez
    ......[..]but the timeline (especially in flash mx) doesnt work so intuitivly for me - maybe i just do it wrong since a while but thats why i´m asking

firstly i assume you have a legal copy of the beta and are asking here for help/advice on this (?)

secondly i'd suggest to 1/. rtm (read the manual) 2/. make /set your own preferences

we all work differently - you need to set your own style that suits you best in the authoring environment
    a

firstly i assume you have a legal copy of the beta and are asking here for help/advice on this (?)
    you´re assuming right - and yes i have read the manual, so maybe i should change the topic a little bit, i didnt find a really good style in using the timeline yet, i dont mean that i have really trouble but its - like i said before - not so intuitive for me, so if somebodys in here that would say "man - how can you be so dumb - working with the timeline is perfect and i am quick like hell" then i´d just like to know how HE does it (or SHE)

so the topic should be called:

how do you use the timeline?