A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get rid of hissing sounds...

Hello To all!

How do I get rid of hissing interference in my sounds? is there an application that can do this.

also, can anybody tell me how to record stuff from the television without the hissing sound?

Thanks in advance for the reply

Does your TV have a stereo output that you can connect to
    a stereo,or a headphones jack?

FK Times - Head Publisher
    FK Board Heavyweight

Are you talking about 'hissing', or 'static' ? Those are two different sounds. If you know the frequencies then a parametric EQ should do this. To record off of a TV you'll need a TV with line outs, or a headphone jack. Otherwise you'll need to tap into the preamp of the set. If you're not a tech then do NOT attempt to try this yourself. There is over 60,000 volts running around in there and if you touch one wrong wire you will not get a second chance. If none of the above options work for you, then your next best bet would be to go to a store like Radio Shack and buy a radio that picks up TV frequencies. Make sure it has line outputs for your tape recorder. Hope that helps.

Hello!

I think I have an audio output jack in my TV (SONY). But My comp is very far from the TV. I could record from TV to Recorder. How do I get it into the comp?

Swishy, wow, thats very technical! I just want to eliminate the foreign sounds associated when you record, the "breathing" sound? . BTW what's a paramtric EQ? How about recording stuff from playstation vcr etc?

I certainly wont fiddle with my TV. Thank You!

Do you mean the annoying buzzing noise you get when recording too near to the TV or Moniter?

If so... turn off your moniter while recording.... stand well away from your computer.. make sure lights with dimmer switches are turned off... or buy better equiptment!

Maybe you are recording at a low res... what quality are you recording at? If its below 22khz or is 8bits then you'll get a horrible buzzing, sounds like it was recorded in a shoe box effect... Try recording at a higher quality 44KHZ 16bit or higher should be great!

Hope this helps!

Sound Forge Noise Reduction is a great tool to reduce hum and excessive noise

FK Board Heavyweight

Exclamation

Yeah but for the price that the program cost he could just buy a radio and be done with it. Plus I think that's an Active X plug in, so he'd also need a main program to run it in.

A parametric EQ is one where you can set which frequencies you wish to change, instead of having them preset for you. It gives you a lot of control, but only within the frequencies that YOU set. So you could set it to the frequency where the static or hiss was, and then 'cut' the noise out. It sounds like you're on a budget so i'd just look for a radio that plays TV and has a line out jack with it. Please keep in mind that if you're recording off of AM radio (remember that) then you can't get a 'clean' recording because it's just the nature of the beast.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will certainly buy myself a radio that does that.

I'm also checking out the headphone jack on my tv and try to buy a cable that I can use to connect it to line-in of my sound blaster. What software could I use to record?

Thanks again

FK Board Heavyweight

You might want to check out software like Cakewalk ( http://www.cakewalk.com ). I think they have a trial version that you can download. You could also use the Sound Forge software mentioned above, which will do what you want. It will be installed along with cakewalk.

Most recording and almost everything you can do with sound can be found at http://www.hitsquad.com/smm they are good guys there, and the website is great!

You will never have optimum sound until you upgrade your soundcard. Soundcards create a hum at -30DB which can be definatley heard by the ear, you can use limiters but you'll only chop away at your sound. Soundblaster cards is a start but no matter what program you get it will be a constant battle until you get that card upgraded. I have the Event Darla($299) , but I also have a recording studio, it suits my needs. There are some digital audio cards for 79 dollars that doesn't have eight outputs like mine has. Shop around. For a psuedo ground in the mean time, take two clips, clip one to the case, clip one to a piece of metal.

Originally posted by SwishY
    You might want to check out software like Cakewalk ( http://www.cakewalk.com ). I think they have a trial version that you can download. You could also use the Sound Forge software mentioned above, which will do what you want. It will be installed along with cakewalk.
    Hahah!! Hello SwishY... I know where you got that image for your footer from!

FK Board Heavyweight

he he he , well I'm glad you do because I found it on my hard drive while I was doing some cleaning and thought it was cool. Someday I'll learn how to use flash and then I won't need old static pics

Sure! You got it from your hard drive.... *Wink*

Hi

I saw that doggie before...nah!

Wow, I thought soundblaster is enough for all recording needs but still noisy too.

Your setup looks great dbeprez, I think I have access to a recording studio too (sneak in to the company studio), but what would I tell the operator when I want to record something from the tv or playstation? or what settings would I tell him?? or is there none?

Thanks for all the great input! I'm really learning a lot from you guys. coz I'm new to this sound thing....

FK Board Heavyweight

Soundblaster sound cards are *junk*. They put out almost 14% THD!!! They have the name, but not the quality. If you're on a budget, but you want a good sounding card, go here.

What are you on about? The SoundBlaster Live is an outstanding card! ESP for the price! £120 for a card thats compairable to most studio setups!

I don't know where you got that 40 figure from...

Do you work for terratec?

What are you on about? The SoundBlaster Live is an outstanding card! ESP for the price! £120 for a card thats compairable to most studio setups!

I don't know where you got that 14% figure from...

Do you work for terratec?

FK Board Heavyweight

No of coarse I don't work for them, i'm only stating the obvious. Pick up ANY leading electronics magazine which has tested sound cards and see for yourself. Most cards on the market today (specs wise) are junk. I am part owner in a very big recording studio (won't say which) and I can tell you that unless you are willing to spend $1700.00 like we did, you won't get a truly 'HiFidelity' card. In fact I believe that it even states in soundblasters owners manual that THD is 15%. Most people want features, and that's where they concintrate their efforts in development.

Sound Forge

I like sound forge[;]

Mod