A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash MX Microphone Object?

I had the Flash 6 beta for a little while and it had a microphone object. There wasn't any documentation for it, though. Was it included in the final MX version. I could think of a lot of cool uses being able to record sound live on a website. Perhaps flash voicechat?

I read that Flash MX will have the capabilities to incorporate live voice and video chat over the web.

wow.
    Phil

more info please

Hello,
    Can somebody with more info please explain what will be the methods and the pratical use of this object it is very interesting how will it handle the real time voice compression that has to take place and can it send the data back to the server...?
    Thanks

I am ready for it. Can't wait!

on all questions will be answers when flash will release
    MARCH 15

[Devil in DarkGreen]

yea,it's a secret now,but at lease we know microphone object is a communicatating action object and it should include connect/send/load/mute sound/volume/and some microphone related actions.

DS

books

Anyone aware of any decent books coming down the pipe about Flash MX. I'm asking about developer ones like O'Reillys Action Script for example.

Re: books

Originally posted by sotirov
    Anyone aware of any decent books coming down the pipe about Flash MX. I'm asking about developer ones like O'Reillys Action Script for example.
    I checked Amazon, searched for "Flash MX", and there appears to be a few MX specific books scheduled for an April/May release.

There is no microphone object for Flash MX. That sucks. It was in the beta version of Flash 6 but it is not in the release version of Flash MX. Why would they take that out?

because ;)

because they are talking about a app server that will support such features. For me means only that flash mx already has this functionality it is only hidden and will be used in conjunction with the app server that will serve real audio and video . After all they have to sell some products god damn it

they took out alot of stuff, including the cookies SharedObjects

Originally posted by zaxis
    they took out alot of stuff, including the cookies SharedObjects
    ??? Really? I don't think they take this out in the real version coming out on the 15.3.

Fredi

that sucks

that sucks already..any other crusial missing objects, listeners???

Arckid - Curving the Web
    i thinks !!! not sure ...

user may record it voice and flash may create / save the file and you can use it in flash ... etc.,

this is what i can guess!@

what u says???

Re: more info please

Originally posted by sotirov
    Hello,
    Can somebody with more info please explain what will be the methods and the pratical use of this object it is very interesting how will it handle the real time voice compression that has to take place and can it send the data back to the server...?
    Thanks
    i was at the launch party last week and they showed off live video/voice though the player. it was over a local connection and the quality was certainly no better than i've seen before (kind of like they were talking to the space shuttle) but still, it's a step.

as far as this feature not making it to the final release, they why did they demo it, why does the version 6 player support it, and why does macromedia address it on their site? (http://www.macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/help/microphone/)

either way, all will be revealed on friday.
    hope this helps.

d.

great news :)

I think that the last post answers pretty much my question.Yes they have built in capabillities for capturing sound and video, store and replay them. The only thing left is for some of the more "involved" senior members to explain the scripting options and to place some examples.That kind of capabilitites built in the player make HTML,DHTML and other vendor plugins almost obsolete.

With Generator gone, MM needs a new revenue (perhaps??)

So far, I'm pretty sure that you need the MM server for these features, thats a good sales pitch, isn't it?