dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: error message

my file keeps giving me an error message that sez " unexpected file format" and won't open the file. Can anyone tell me what to do? I'm on a Mac and the file was developed on a mac.

In the folder where your file is, duplicate the .fla (apple D). Try working with the duplicate.

Another solution is use file/open to select and open the file.

Finally, you can try using filetyper to make sure the .fla is the correct type of file. (You can get filetyper for free from http://www.download.com or tucows). You have to tell filetyper that the (problem) file is the same type of file and has the same creater as a file which you know is working properly.

Disco thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately none of these options worked. FileTyper shows the settings being the same as all the rest of my Flash 5 files. The file is large (19.9 MB) with lots animation and sounds. It was crashing my machine quite frequently but would always open after a reboot. I did find a patch upgrade for Flash called (Flash 5a) for the mac. Which is suppose to help with the stability issues I've be having. But I still need a solution on how to save this file. Can you or anyone else help! Thanks.

The issue again is an error message : "unexpected file format" when I try opening the file in Flash 5a.

I am also having problems... I have a 20mb file and although I have 500mb of Ram allocated to Flash I am crashing every 5 - 15 minutes and it is making this project slow... every second command I give is "apple S". I am not sure there is much hope for your file.. I think that with the crash it killed the it so it is now corrupt/damaged.

I have a file which was giving me the error message "seek failed on myfile.fla" and I can't import it... but I have changed my working process so that at least every hour I save a new version of the file... so I would loose a maximum of 1 hours work. With the file... After not being able to find a solution quick enough I have gone back to the previous version... but will respond again if I find an answer... I have a question posted in the Macromedia forum..

Thumbs up

Macromedia piss' me off! If the program isn't ready for primetime it shouldn't be released! I'm sick of being their ginipig. I lost days of work. I also had the apple s command going every other move. You know they are really taking the joy out of Flash. I hope MX is better but I doubt it! And to top it off they don't even address these issues on their site. If it wasn't for commrads like youself I'd be still trying to figure out what's up. Sorry, I just needed to vent! I was almost finished with my site when this happened, and had just back it up. Unfortunatly that's when the file went corrupt! Please let me know if here anything back from those jackass'.

Thanks

I know what you mean, I am taking twice as long to get my project done... but still only get payed for the time I calculated even when i am over....

In the Macromedia Forum, Macromedia Employee Bently Wolfe talks about the limits to flash. He was surprise that my flash file was so big. I have also read that you can only have a maximum of 16000 frames in flash and that if flash performs a loop function 20000 times then it stops to prevent your computer from crashing.

I agree that flash should be more flexible... when I give it more memory it should be able to handle larger files... even though flash was originally designed for low size vector animations, flash is also great for other multimedia outlets such as POS displays, CD-Rom and creating short films/trailers (ok... not video ... but using the best that flash gives you).